Does anyone use South Beach macros with success?

I think I’m supposed to be at 30/30/35 for South Beach but I’m a little lost and not really losing weight like I’d like to despite a calorie deficit

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    mfp197840 wrote: »
    I think I’m supposed to be at 30/30/35 for South Beach but I’m a little lost and not really losing weight like I’d like to despite a calorie deficit

Macros don't directly affect your weight loss. They can make it easier or more difficult to hit your calorie goal, and you do need minimums for health and fitness.

How long have you been eating this way and how much weight have you lost so far? And how much weight do you need to lose altogether?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    South Beach doesn't have any defined macros, it is about food choices. If you have beans, for example, your carbs might be quite a bit higher than someone who doesn't.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Those macros add up to 95%, but regardless personal preference is a better driver than any kind of set diet plan. The perfect macro split (whatever that is, assuming there were such a thing) wouldn't do you any good if you can't adhere to it. Meet or exceed the minimum for protein, be sure to get sufficient fat, and let the rest fall where it may.
  • mfp197840
    mfp197840 Posts: 8 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Macros don't directly affect your weight loss. They can make it easier or more difficult to hit your calorie goal, and you do need minimums for health and fitness.

How long have you been eating this way and how much weight have you lost so far? And how much weight do you need to lose altogether?

I would like to lose about 35 pounds and it’s been about 2 months with just 4 pound loss. I am losing weight but it seems rather slow.
  • mfp197840
    South Beach doesn't have any defined macros, it is about food choices. If you have beans, for example, your carbs might be quite a bit higher than someone who doesn't.

Wow, I feel very misinformed! I thought South Beach was where all the macros were close to the same amount (like split in thirds).
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member

I would like to lose about 35 pounds and it’s been about 2 months with just 4 pound loss. I am losing weight but it seems rather slow.

Suggest to remember that weight gain is also sometimes a thing that happens rather slow also. Take it off at the rate it went on and I think the chance of establishing long term habits is better than if a crash diet approach is taken.

Good luck.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2019

Wow, I feel very misinformed! I thought South Beach was where all the macros were close to the same amount (like split in thirds).

You may be thinking of the "Zone" diet, where it is pretty close to thirds.

South Beach is more about limiting certain foods than macro goals.
  • mfp197840
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Those macros add up to 95%, but regardless personal preference is a better driver than any kind of set diet plan. The perfect macro split (whatever that is, assuming there were such a thing) wouldn't do you any good if you can't adhere to it. Meet or exceed the minimum for protein, be sure to get sufficient fat, and let the rest fall where it may.

Lol! I did a double take and you’re right, they are at 30/35/35 in my goals on this app, where 30 is fat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

So you're losing about 0.5lbs per week but could probably stand to lose 1 lb per week. That's just a 250 cal per day difference. Do you think you could stand to tighten up your logging a little? Use a food scale, double check the entries you are using in the database have accurate calorie info? Are you struggling to stay under your calorie goal right now?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Does the new mail order meal plan use macros? The ORIGINAL South Beach diet did not have any macros.

There's a small group of folks doing the original plan. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8279-original-south-beach-diet-dash-diet-weight-loss-solution-low-glycemic-load-eating-group
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Does the new mail order meal plan use macros? The ORIGINAL South Beach diet did not have any macros.

There's a small group of folks doing the original plan. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8279-original-south-beach-diet-dash-diet-weight-loss-solution-low-glycemic-load-eating-group

I've never really looked into South Beach, but just took a peek at the group description and it sounds pretty common sense, might have to look into it a bit more!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    It's always struck me as pretty sensible, if someone wants structure.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I've never really looked into South Beach, but just took a peek at the group description and it sounds pretty common sense, might have to look into it a bit more!

The original book is a good "common sense" read. Libraries and thrift stores usually have it. The Dr. who designed and supported it recently retired, and nutrisystem bought the name and turned it into a mail order low carb food plan. Definitely not the same, as the original focused on fresh whole foods. When I first lost the weight SB was a great guide for me because frankly, I had no idea how to eat in a healthful manner. I still use the book and resources to this day.
  • mfp197840

So you're losing about 0.5lbs per week but could probably stand to lose 1 lb per week. That's just a 250 cal per day difference. Do you think you could stand to tighten up your logging a little? Use a food scale, double check the entries you are using in the database have accurate calorie info? Are you struggling to stay under your calorie goal right now?
    zeejane03 wrote: »

The original book is a good "common sense" read. Libraries and thrift stores usually have it. The Dr. who designed and supported it recently retired, and nutrisystem bought the name and turned it into a mail order low carb food plan. Definitely not the same, as the original focused on fresh whole foods. When I first lost the weight SB was a great guide for me because frankly, I had no idea how to eat in a healthful manner. I still use the book and resources to this day.

Thank you, I will try these suggestions :smile: