What do you think of my workout plan/schedule?

MokhtarB
MokhtarB Posts: 29 Member
Things I have addressed:
  • 48 hour rest periods.

• I workout at school at the weightroom, so I have plenty more options.
  • I also have a banged up knee cartilage wise and the leg workouts I have now I know are rehabilitating, and don't affect my knees. I refuse squats with weights and all that.

I'm conscious of muscle imbalance, so I figure since my bench is lower than my mower pulls, I'll wait on progressing the mower pulls until my bench goes back up. Should I change my reps and sets? My goal is functional strength and muscle build.

Mon- Chest+ Back:
Negative Pullups (8x3)
Dumbbell lawnmower pull 30lb single arm (8x3)
Farmer Walks 15 lb (Ten paces 10x) back and forth
Bench Press 10lb each side (8x3)

Tues- Abs+Butt&Legs:
Ab Rollers (8x3)
Single Leg RDL (8x3) (might go weightless while I master form)
Singe Leg Box Squat (8x3)

Wed- light jog Cardio/rest

Thur- Chest+ Back:
Negative Pullups (8x3)
Dumbbell lawnmower pull 30lb single arm (8x3)
Farmer Walks 15 lb (Ten paces 10x) back and forth
Bench Press 10lb each side (8x3)

Friday- Abs+Butt&Legs:
Ab Rollers (8x3)
Single Leg RDL (8x3) (might go weightless while I master form)
Singe Leg Box Squat (8x3)

Replies

• MokhtarB
    Also! Saturdays and Sundays are rest days. I'm thinking of just doing pullups and all that at home on one of those days so I can rework my entire schedule. Unless y'all think this ones fine. Share your ideas here!

-Mo
  • MokhtarB
    I dunno. I guess I always hear alot of really good things about these workouts. For a fact I think I need more chest workouts. Arms are hit by all the compounds tho- I like the aspects of bodyweight training, but its a weightroom, so might as well use weights. For the most part I like workouts that aren't machines which isolate you. I know I prefer unilateral too for instance. What's your workout plan?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2019
    MokhtarB wrote: »
    I dunno. I guess I always hear alot of really good things about these workouts. For a fact I think I need more chest workouts. Arms are hit by all the compounds tho- I like the aspects of bodyweight training, but its a weightroom, so might as well use weights. For the most part I like workouts that aren't machines which isolate you. I know I prefer unilateral too for instance. What's your workout plan?

I'm currently doing a full body dumbbell routine 2 x a week

I found it in here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • MokhtarB

I'm currently doing a full body dumbbell routine 2 x a week

I found it in here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

The dumbbell alternative workout has alot of similarity to mine, minus the rest times and rep count. Thank you for the workout program list though!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Your missing alot of quad focus. Some kind of a higher anarchy of pressing movement for legs 2-3 a week into the slots is desperately needed.

Farmer carries are very low on ROI unless you plan on competing with strong man or CrossFit.

ROI is crazy low on trying to master form for RDLs. Do a weight that is challenging but leaves some in the tank. Form corrects itself in most cases over utilizing proper load and time.

I highly suggest never purposely slowing progress on one lift because another is lagging. Just train.

Use a program that is well designed and balanced and everything fixes itself over time.
  • MokhtarB
    Loo
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Why don’t you just follow PHUL or some other proven upper/lower. Your missing some core compounds and it lacks volume and accessories
    Why don’t you just follow PHUL or some other proven upper/lower. Your missing some core compounds and it lacks volume and accessories

The problem is i hurt my knee, so a barbell lunge or a deadlift is one of the worst things I can do to myself. How do i accommodate for this?

• MokhtarB
    So i need to get rid of: doing RDL weightlessly. Scrap the farmer walks.

I need a program thats 4 days that can accommodate for my bad knee in some way. Substitution is the max leeway i can think of. Im really serious about this workout stuff!
  • TavistockToad

I need a program thats 4 days that can accommodate for my bad knee in some way. Substitution is the max leeway i can think of. Im really serious about this workout stuff!

how long will rehabbing your knee take?
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Loo

The problem is i hurt my knee, so a barbell lunge or a deadlift is one of the worst things I can do to myself. How do i accommodate for this?

I can’t answer that. I don’t know what’s wrong with your knee and if we are talking permanent or temporary knee issues and I’m not a dr but why not run the upper parts of PHUL or a similar program (PPL Maybe?) and then find alternates for what you can’t do for lower? Bulgarian split squats perhaps.
  • MokhtarB

To be honest, I feel like I have so much muscle weakness that its affected all of my joints. My shoulders especially. They click so easy, and my chest lacks so much muscle that my ribs popped through them. I've gained three pounds eating around 1800 calories+ a day and the bones don't show anymore. I'm going to keep trying to safely strengthen my hams and quads to protect and stabilize my knee(s) which actually click and pop if I shift them sideways. Yup. That easily.
  • jdog022
    edited January 2019
    Have you consulted with a dr about the joint issues to make sure you are healthy enough to be training without the help of a professional, at least initially? Last thing you want is to get hurt more
  • TavistockToad

To be honest, I feel like I have so much muscle weakness that its affected all of my joints. My shoulders especially. They click so easy, and my chest lacks so much muscle that my ribs popped through them. I've gained three pounds eating around 1800 calories+ a day and the bones don't show anymore. I'm going to keep trying to safely strengthen my hams and quads to protect and stabilize my knee(s) which actually click and pop if I shift them sideways. Yup. That easily.

I'd get an actual diagnosis from a physio if I was you.
  • MokhtarB
    Waiting on some sort of insurance issue to blow over- in the mean time, what's stopping me from combining the upper workouts with another program's lower?
  • MokhtarB
    Mon- Chest+ Back:
    Dumbbell lawnmower pull 30lb single arm (2x3)
    SUPERSET: Dumbell Bench Press 15lb each side (12x4)
    Negative Pullups (12x3)
    Negative Chinups (12x3)

Tues- Abs+Butt&Legs:
    Ab Rollers (12x3)
    Plank (1:30 min) (2x)
    Single Leg RDL (12x3) (30 lb)
    Single Leg Box Squat (12x3)
    Straight left deadlift w/ kettle/other weight (12x3)
    Glute bridge (12x3)

Thoughts?
  • jdog022
    I feel like your ignoring the advice given. Find a proven program and just swap the leg exercises. I don’t want to sound rude, I really don’t, but what your designing isn’t even close.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    What are you actually looking to achieve by the way? Like, what is your goal? Get strong, get big, whatever.