Goal Weight Achieved!

Stepped on the scale the other morning to 160.0 lbs exactly! This means I've officially lost the 20 lbs I gained in vet school. Thrilled!!

This was my initial goal - I'm adding an additional 10 lbs to my goal to get me back into normal BMI range (for my height, 160 is right on the cusp).

I'm very, very happy to have made it here. Just a curious thing - I'm very private when it comes to my weight struggles, and of the three people I've shared my joy with (one of whom is my mother - she's just as thrilled as I am!), the other two are weirdly concerned with the weight loss. I think they mean well, assuring me that I was beautiful before I lost the weight, but my goal isn't to look better - it's to maintain a healthy BMI. They're quite upset that I may become just "skin and bones." My ex had the opposite expectations when I originally put on the weight, telling me often that I was becoming fat... Thank goodness I'm not doing this to please anyone but myself, 'cus wow, what a mixed bag of reactions!

Replies

• Way to go!!!
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Thanks for your support, everyone!

@Running2Fit - Weirdly, no. One is close to the same weight as me now, and the other is in ridiculously good shape, so who knows!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    congrats!
    yes people quickly go from happy for you to concerned. they mean well but it's frustrating when you are by no means "skin and bone".
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Congratulations!

I'm also getting the 'concerned' looks now but only one person has actually out and out said stop losing now and she's a crazy older co-worker who has zero filter! Forget them- keep at it if it feels right to you!
  • StephenL2345
    StephenL2345 Posts: 3 Member
    Congrats on smashing your initial goal! Don't let the skeptics rain on your parade :)

It's nice when others share in your happiness (your mom rocks) but ultimately it is only your opinion that matters.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Well done on your weight loss. I think that you and your mother are probably the best judges of what weight is sensible for you. I have lost and regained a few times over the past years and had friends who would speak up when they thought I was losing too much but were silent as I regained - I wish they could have flipped their behaviour!

I am sometimes a bit dubious about BMI weights I am a 5'11" male and my healthy BMI range is 9st 6lb to 12st 11lb. The top end would be just about doable but the mid-point would take me back to what I weighed as a 16 year old. The lower range would have me looking like a starving man.

My target weight is 182 pounds (13 stone) and that will leave me in the overweight BMI category but with my build I think that is low as I should go. It is almost 70 pounds away so really getting under 200 will be massive.

• I have the same problem with the weight loss comments. One of my relatives are warning now (im just at the top end of the healthy bmi) that i mustn't lose more as I will lose all my muscles, i will become too thin, its not good at my age etc etc. It is so annoying so i kind of reminded myself not to talk about it even if people ask just say i don't want to talk about it. :0( Sad but that's how people are. Losing weight is hard enough without others negativity.
    Congrats on your weight loss!
  • HarryJamesPotter7
    HarryJamesPotter7 Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2019
    jamesha100 wrote: »
    Well done on your weight loss. I think that you and your mother are probably the best judges of what weight is sensible for you. I have lost and regained a few times over the past years and had friends who would speak up when they thought I was losing too much but were silent as I regained - I wish they could have flipped their behaviour!

I am sometimes a bit dubious about BMI weights I am a 5'11" male and my healthy BMI range is 9st 6lb to 12st 11lb. The top end would be just about doable but the mid-point would take me back to what I weighed as a 16 year old. The lower range would have me looking like a starving man.

My target weight is 182 pounds (13 stone) and that will leave me in the overweight BMI category but with my build I think that is low as I should go. It is almost 70 pounds away so really getting under 200 will be massive.

I am in the same boat. On the low end of the BMI, I look literally emaciated. I look at women who are my height (5'7") and weigh 130 lbs and they look healthy, but they also wear a size 6 shoe and have little bird bones. Anything below 150, I look like a holocaust survivor. People online don't believe me when I say that, but when I'm in the 140's I had people asking me if I had an eating disorder or was anorexic. I have a super wide rib cage (40 inches), wear a size 10 shoe, and my hands are huge for a woman (almost as big as my 6 foot 190 lb boyfriend's), along with super wide hips (big bones). I look unhealthy when I'm in the BMI range that's supposed to be for a 5'7" woman, but that's because I don't have the bone structure of most 5'7" women.

Bottom line: I think everyone should do what's right for them. Listen to your body. Do what's good for you.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Unfortunately, you will probably continue to receive the mixed reactions too. You have to do what works for you and let the rest go in one ear and out the other. Everyone thinks they know your body so much better than you obviously do yourself. I get that their are folks who have actual eating disorders, but c'mon... sometimes, I honestly believe opinions are often voiced out of jealousy. Congratulations on your loss!! It sounds like you are happy with your loss and you keep that chin up!! You deserve to be happy and don't let anyone bring you down!
  • lindasuedue
    lindasuedue Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2019
    Congrats on your success. Many do not understand that weight loss is often less about vanity and more about living a healthy, fit life (but fitting into those new jeans isn't bad, either) B) I do think that BMI can often distort a real weight based on muscle mass, etc., so my ideal BMI would be terribly thin looking now. Each of us knows when we "feel" our best.

Again, congratulations on your hard work !
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Congrats! I decide not to share my weight loss plans with people in my life, because instead of supporting me for what I want to do, they usually say "oh, you look fine", or "your body just wants to weigh that amount", or other not-helpful comments. I like the message board here, where everyone gets it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!