Problem area: huge calves

Options
So I have been doing research about losing weight and shrinking my giganic calve muscles. I have read the tips about running, walking, yoga, strength training and stretching. What I would like to know is does anyone else have large calves and when you lost weight did you calves shink too? What worked best for you? Thanks!

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    ughh I have HUGE calves! & ankles, for that matter. I always have. it's partially just being big boned (no, really, it is!!) but big muscled as well.

I took measurements on my calves when I started here and they HAVE shrunk a bit. I kind of always resigned myself to just living with my massive, disproportionate legs, but I'm sure that the more weight that's lost, it will make a difference with calves too.

the only downside is that although you can lose the fat eventually, I think proportions stay the same. in other words, my legs look big on my body, and probably would even if I was at a super-low weight.

just gotta get some self esteem I suppose :)
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I would love to know what you consider large calves!! I can't wear boots mine are so big!! And I used to be 40 pounds heavier-mine never budged!!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have huge calves and even when I was in shape I had huge calves. I think it really comes down to bone structure and muscle mass, as long as my calves were toned I didn't worry about them being so big.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    yep, huge calves here too. I can only get certain cuts of jeans...no boots. I hate it. My mom is similar. Even when we had been thinner, our calves have been big. Just genetic.

You can work on reducing body fat. But, your body will store fat where it wants to. And you might want to be leery of doing things that will build muscle on your calves until you get some of the fat off - just to avoid bulking that area. Like I won't do those calf raise things.

On the bright side, remember that carrying fat in legs and not tummy is better. Tummy weight is more associated with ill-health. :) That's what I remind myself of when I get mad about my fat calves. hehe
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently that talked about how muscular most obese people are, underneath the chub. It takes big muscles to move big bodies around. Since we lose both muscle and fat when we lose weight, it mentioned how some of that muscle loss brings the body back into proportion.

I'm guessing muscle is like fat in that you can't choose where to lose it.

Buy hey, muscles are way sexy!
  • dishwalla
    Options
    I too have large calves, also can't wear boots and look like a rugby player in shorts. When I first when on diet some 10 years ago I did a lot of cycling and that really helped a lot toning them down.
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    calf raises are working best for me! They will keep the muscle nice and burn the excess fat there!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I was thinking VEAL!! Sorry.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    I was thinking VEAL!! Sorry.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • shiftblade
    Options
    Yep! I have big calves too! On the positive side I am great at hill walking, climbing and rollerblading - I'm sure you are too!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My name is TheFranLover and I have huge calves. Though they tighten up in just about anything I do, they were big cut muscles even when I was overweight... so I'll take the good w/ the bad. :)
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    ok make fun of me!!! Sorry Calves not calf.!!! Is Calf wrong?!!? I don't even know..and it's not because my hair is blond!!! :laugh:
  • Mitchlou84
    Mitchlou84 Posts: 135
    Options
    Yep me too! They aren't fat though, just very wide and very solid. I measured mine the other day as I decided now I am a bit slimmer I'd like to do the jeans tucked into boots thing! My calves are 47cm in diameter though so am going to have to look for some super wide calf boots!
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yep me too! They aren't fat though, just very wide and very solid. I measured mine the other day as I decided now I am a bit slimmer I'd like to do the jeans tucked into boots thing! My calves are 47cm in diameter though so am going to have to look for some super wide calf boots!

Torrid makes wide calf boots that are really cute!