Calcium rich , non fatty foods - suggestions??

Options
Hi,

I have noticed that i am not meeting my calcium goal for the day. I am around 25%-35% daily.

Any tips on calcium rich foods that are fairly low on carbs and fat?

Thanks.
Alina

Replies

• salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i am also facing the same problem
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Spinach is your friend.
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    I have noticed that many foods do not give a calcium content even when I know they do contain calcium. This is because food packaging doesn't always give calcium content so the value is not added to the database.
    Dairy products, nuts, seeds, green leafy veg, tofu, some fish (herring, sardines) are all high in calcium.
  • want2walknotwaddle
    want2walknotwaddle Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i generally have a low fat yohurt and a cup of skimmed milk at some point in day and this tops me up
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Chicken
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Here's a list of the top 10 foods for calcium: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-calcium.php
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you're really having trouble, you can get a calcium supplement. I take them because I have medication which can affect my bones. I take the generic version of Viactiv, which is a pretty delicious calcium chocolate-flavored chew.
  • Sheltie4
    Sheltie4 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think hitting the recommendations for calcium intake is very difficult. I do not like milk so I must fall very short everyday.
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Brocilli, puha all your dark green leafies. Tinned salmon, eat the soft bones too. You can get a great product from healthstores made by lifestream, it's a powder that you can add to almost anything and would contain no calories, fats or carbs.

Unfortunately when we are dieting diary products are often the first to go. But as woman it is super important to get enough calcium and high impact excercise too to build bone density. Good luck :)

(I also think some of the foods we track do have calcium but it's not been added or wasn't on the nutritional analysis, so we may be getting more than we think)
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    I think hitting the recommendations for calcium intake is very difficult. I do not like milk so I must fall very short everyday.

I hit my calcium recommendation every day, and the only dairy I eat is 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt per day. Everything else is fruits, nuts, veggies, and grains.
  • Sheltie4
    Options
    Is there a lot of calcium in Greek Yoghurt? I think I am only consuming about a third of my requirement, will have to make more of an effort.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Is there a lot of calcium in Greek Yoghurt? I think I am only consuming about a third of my requirement, will have to make more of an effort.

According to the database, one serving (6 oz) of Chobani plain has 20% RDA.
  • Mucky_Duck
    Options
    Milk is pretty much one of the best sources to get calcium and the fat content helps the body absorb it. Spinach and dark greens are good too but really not enough (especially as a women) to get adequate intake. Tinned salmon and sardines are good proteins to have in your diet because the bones provide lots of calcium (so long as you eat them). Yoghurt and nuts can also provide good calcium.
  • Sheltie4
    Options
    I do have yoghurt (low fat as I do not like the 'rich' taste of normal) but no nuts, milk or tinned salmon. There are very few foods I do not eat and most of them seem to be excellent sources of calcium!
  • salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that many foods do not give a calcium content even when I know they do contain calcium. This is because food packaging doesn't always give calcium content so the value is not added to the database.
    Dairy products, nuts, seeds, green leafy veg, tofu, some fish (herring, sardines) are all high in calcium.

very true
  • opreali
    opreali Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks a million to all of you. I used to eat the fruit yogurts every morning but then i realized that they were too sugary so i swapped them with Activia Laban - but i guess it is not enough. I eat salads as well - and i'll definitely give it a shot with the salmon, sardines and more milk.

I have recently read an article about Osteoporosis and how calcium deficit affects the bones - so i've got kinda scared. :(

Thanks again.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Thanks a million to all of you. I used to eat the fruit yogurts every morning but then i realized that they were too sugary so i swapped them with Activia Laban - but i guess it is not enough. I eat salads as well - and i'll definitely give it a shot with the salmon, sardines and more milk.

I have recently read an article about Osteoporosis and how calcium deficit affects the bones - so i've got kinda scared. :(

Thanks again.

Generally, that's only something to worry about if you are chronically under your recommended daily intake or your body has problems absorbing the calcium. Make sure you're getting plenty of vitamin D in your diet, as well, as that's what helps your body absorb it. There is such a thing as too much calcium, which can cause its own set of problems in the long term. Being active and doing some strength training will also help keep your bones strong.