Chicken question

Guys I could use some help. I'm 270 lbs and I need to lose some weight for health issues. Back in May I lost 20 lbs in 45 days. I felt great, but I got burned out because I was mostly eating chicken, rice, and asparagus. I was really enjoying the food but then one day I said if I look at another piece of chicken I'll throw up. Since then I went right back to where I was. Eating like that is not sustainable and I need to find more food I like and make this a lifestyle change and not a diet.
With all that being said, I'm 270 and I sit most of my work day, so the calculator has me at 1850 calories for 2lbs per week. Right now to get me going I'm starting with the chicken, asparagus, and rice again. I usually eat 2 x 280g servings of chicken a day. Is that too much chicken a day? It falls within my numbers. I was reading somewhere that too much chicken can be bad. Thanks.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    are there other proteins you enjoy? beef, turkey, fish, tofu, lentils? what would you eat before? i eat the same thing regularly but cannot imagine eating those three things daily :P
  • col98
    col98 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the reply. It's crazy that I let myself go like this, but I use to be in really good shape as an athlete. My goal is not just to lose weight but also do weight training (not power lifter, just to look in shape). I am eating the chicken to get the protein numbers needed. Without the chicken I have no idea how I would reach the per day protein numbers.
  • col98
    col98 Posts: 4 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    are there other proteins you enjoy? beef, turkey, fish, tofu, lentils? what would you eat before? i eat the same thing regularly but cannot imagine eating those three things daily :P

I wish I could like fish but I can't. Love beef but trying to keep the red meat to a minimum 1/week. I am going to do it differently this time. I am just doing some planning as I need to get smarter about nutrition. Tofu and Lentils, I will look into that. Thanks.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    eggs? greek yogurt? i enjoy beef jerky. there are so many options.

other vegatables: broccoli, leafy greats, carrots, cuccumber, green beans, cauliflower (you can do all kinds of things with cauliflower). spiralized zucchini (which i buy pre cut cuz i am lazy). so many options.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Cottage cheese is a good source of protein and a super easy way to make a meal. Throw a little fruit in it like blueberries or pineapple. Or have some tomato and French dressing. Is it just fish or all seafood that you don't like? I have some shrimp in the freezer that for 113 g is only 80 calories and is 18 grams of protein. I can get almost half of my protein goal for the day for 200 calories.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Ground turkey and sliced deli turkey is always a great protein source for me. Also protein powder if you’re struggling to get it in your diet. Beans too!
  • osche731
    osche731 Posts: 213 Member
    col98 wrote: »

I wish I could like fish but I can't. Love beef but trying to keep the red meat to a minimum 1/week. I am going to do it differently this time. I am just doing some planning as I need to get smarter about nutrition. Tofu and Lentils, I will look into that. Thanks.

What about using ground turkey or a pork product? Both of those are also white meat. Peanut butter, flax seed, and chia seed are also great sources of protein.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Why stick to the same meal all the time?

Stir fry some veggies with chicken thighs.

Make Turkey burgers with or without bun depending on calories.

Brawts cooked with cabbage taste great.

The other night I had pork loin with roasted potatoes and mushrooms with a side salad for 450 calories.

Look up recipes on pinterest, there are hundreds of ideas or go to local library and get a few different cookbooks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    col98 wrote: »

I used to eat chicken and beef in about that proportion and never got sick of the chicken as I varied the starches and veggies and there are soooooooooooo many different ways to prepare chicken.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I happen to have had chicken and asparagus for lunch today, but I will not have that every day.

Tomorrow, I think I'll have a hamburger.

That's the thing about living. You live.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    mgookin wrote: »
    Why stick to the same meal all the time?

Stir fry some veggies with chicken thighs.

Make Turkey burgers with or without bun depending on calories.

Brawts cooked with cabbage taste great.

The other night I had pork loin with roasted potatoes and mushrooms with a side salad for 450 calories.

Look up recipes on pinterest, there are hundreds of ideas or go to local library and get a few different cookbooks.

Yes, I am on the email list for recipes from America's Test Kitchen and allrecipes.com, and my mother sends me recipes from cooking.nytimes.com.

The library is a great source for cookbooks. Often before I buy new ones I test-drive them from the library.

@col98 if you don't have much of a collection of cookbooks, "The Joy of Cooking" is a must-have IMO.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    There is no need to restrict yourself that much. As you know already, it leads to burn out and failure. Instead of doing what you know won't work in the long term, why not try something that will work? You can eat anything you want, just as long as it fits your daily calories. There are a lot of protein sources, a lot of tasty vegetables, and a lot of carbs that you can try. Don't make the same mistakes.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Why are you going back to what didn't work? You run the risk of creating an emotional resistance to trying to lose weight at all.

Look, the best thing about calorie counting is that no foods are off limits. Just plug your information into MFP and eat the number of calories it tells you, made of whatever foods you enjoy.

Losing weight isn't easy. You're doing yourself a favor to not make it any harder than necessary.