Calorie Intake

Options
Hi

In the first few weeks with MFP i managed to shift 12lbs, but the last couple of weeks i've stayed the same (although lost inches).
When i fist started i was oviously heavier, so my calorie intake was slightly higher, but since losing the 12lbs MFP now has me set at 1400 calories, which i feel personally is too low.
I'm currently 224lbs, 5'6" and exercising at least 20/30mins each day and i'm just not shifting the pounds.
I've gone into the goals section, and changed my goal from losing 2lb per week, to losing just 1.5lb per week.
This has now set me at 1640 calories per day. Which seems a bit better for me.

So i'm just wondering if anyone had had anything similar happen, and upped their calories and started losing again??

Also i don't eat my exercise calories usually, but i'm willing to change this if people think it will help!!

Any comments/advise would be great :)

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hi

In the first few weeks with MFP i managed to shift 12lbs, but the last couple of weeks i've stayed the same (although lost inches).
    When i fist started i was oviously heavier, so my calorie intake was slightly higher, but since losing the 12lbs MFP now has me set at 1400 calories, which i feel personally is too low.
    I'm currently 224lbs, 5'6" and exercising at least 20/30mins each day and i'm just not shifting the pounds.
    I've gone into the goals section, and changed my goal from losing 2lb per week, to losing just 1.5lb per week.
    This has now set me at 1640 calories per day. Which seems a bit better for me.

So i'm just wondering if anyone had had anything similar happen, and upped their calories and started losing again??

Also i don't eat my exercise calories usually, but i'm willing to change this if people think it will help!!

Any comments/advise would be great :)

YES! I was on a 2 pound deficit and was eating 1240 and was hungry all the time but only losing around 0.4pounds a week, if that. In the past week I have upped my cals to 1490 and lost 3.9POUNDS! I'm not saying it will work for everyone but defs try it!
  • SeanC86
    SeanC86 Posts: 88
    Options
    You said it yourself... "I'm not losing pounds, but am losing inches" Chances are, you'll losing weight from fat, but you are also likely gaining weight from muscle. A lot of people experience this "plateau" sometime during weight loss. It's normal. Change up your workout routine a little... you should start to see some changes. And keep at it. If you're losing inches, but maintaining weight, it's alright. You'll see weight come off over time. When I first started, I stayed at the same weight for 3 weeks before losing weight, however I was losing inches on a regular basis.
  • prettyash76
    Options
    I just changed my weight loss from 2lbs to 1.5 pounds so that i can have more calories. I was getting 1320 but now im getting 1540 from now on. Im going to try this for a few weeks and see what happens.