Anxious to join a class alone

A local yoga studio has recently started a beginning yoga class. I want to go but I will be going alone. It seems in my community (small town), people often do fitness classes with their friends and no one goes alone. I’m a very shy person and a little intimidated/scared to go alone. This will also be the first time I’ve joined any type of fitness class. Any advice/motivation to keep me from backing out? I’ve already missed the first class.

Replies

• buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    If you haven’t gone, how do you know there aren’t other “loners?” And even if it is all “pals” you’ll all be yoga pals soon enough! Introduce yourself and smile! This is my nice way of saying just do it! I have way more friends and acquaintances after starting classes than I did before. You’ve got this!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I do all sorts of stuff on my own. I am an introvert. Do it! It's empowering, and you can make friends there. I met two of my favorite people in my kickboxing class, and I started there alone.
  • 46carmen
    46carmen Posts: 110 Member
    I like taking group classes. It motivates me even if I don't know anyone in the class. I hope you went to the class.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I'll go with you! Ok, doubt we live in the same area but I would if I could.
    Just go and enjoy it.
    I started crossfit at 60 pounds overweight..... That was scary. It took a couple of weeks for me to walk in there. Idk what I was so scared about. no one pays attention to anyone else. We all are there for our own workout.

Go and have fun!!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Try and get there a little early, introduce yourself to the instructor and find yourself a space at the back.

I have aspergers and was very anxious when I started going to classes. So I got to the class early, spoke to the instructor, explained I was anxious and set myself up at the back. Couple of years later and I've progressed to the front of the class.
  • berube0604
    berube0604 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for your advice and support. I’ve signed up for the class. Weather permitting, I’ll be there Sunday. I’m still a bit nervous but here’s to hoping those reside when I get there.

Did you get a chance to go? If so how was it? I’ve gone to both Zumba and Step classes alone, didn’t know anyone (or the routines) and I LOVED it. My Zumba friends (all 50+ and I’m only 28) became amazing friends! Step is just fun. Some people say hi, but I’m more of a keep to yourself girl. I say go for it!
  • TKendall859
    TKendall859 Posts: 5 Member
    Hey everyone! Thank you for all your support. I did go to the class and am actually looking forward to going next week. Thanks to the snow, it was a super small class so that actually helped me feel much more comfortable. I got there early and just tried to stay focused on what I was doing rather than how I felt. I quickly felt more at ease. So yeah, I loved it!