More permanent whole 30

Options
I was on whole 30 and lost. When it ended I gained. What diet is something I can do more permanent but still whole 30 ish?

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. What will make that easier is eating the foods you enjoy, within your calorie targets. No need to make drastic, unsustainable changes like W30.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    It doesn't come down to diet, it comes down to the habits you build with the knowledge you gain. That's why it's so important for you to eat in a way you can sustain long term instead of something that, while yes it may help you drop weight it doesn't help you transition to long term. Eat in a way you like that gives you a good variety of foods and macros, watch your calories, weigh you food and it should go a long way to helping you to maintain when you get to your goal weight.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Karinafabulous why not just repeat it every 30 days or some modification of it? I know one person that does that but it sounds a little like the Keto that I do.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    @Karinafabulous why not just repeat it every 30 days or some modification of it? I know one person that does that but it sounds a little like the Keto that I do.

Whole 30 is not well rounded and is specifically meant to be an elimination diet where you slowly reintroduce the restricted foods to see which ones you react to, if any.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Whole 30 is not well rounded and is specifically meant to be an elimination diet where you slowly reintroduce the restricted foods to see which ones you react to, if any.

https://therealfoodrds.com/18-easy-dietitian-approved-whole30-meals/

I am not sure what you mean by "well rounded" but these 18 Whole 30 meal plans look good long term to me. In Oct 2014 I eliminated all foods containing added sugar and or any form of any grain. On reintroduction of some foods health and health markers started going south again so I said screw this and stuck with my elimination WOE for over 4 years now. At my age I just do not care to rock the boat of my physical and mental health balance.

Perhaps some healthy people just need to do a reset with something like Whole 30 and I can see a 30 day thing being successful in their case. In the end the Way Of Eating that gives improving health and health marker carries a lot of weight in my mind regardless of what WOE it may be. After lunch I am off to see my doctor that has done the Whole 30 thing a few times and ask her about its roundness.

Even the creator of Whole30 doesn't recommend doing Whole30 forever, although she certainly recommends keeping to the general principles of the plan for daily life.

https://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-forever/
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

I am not sure what you mean by "well rounded" but these 18 Whole 30 meal plans look good long term to me. In Oct 2014 I eliminated all foods containing added sugar and or any form of any grain. On reintroduction of some foods health and health markers started going south again so I said screw this and stuck with my elimination WOE for over 4 years now. At my age I just do not care to rock the boat of my physical and mental health balance.

Perhaps some healthy people just need to do a reset with something like Whole 30 and I can see a 30 day thing being successful in their case. In the end the Way Of Eating that gives improving health and health marker carries a lot of weight in my mind regardless of what WOE it may be. After lunch I am off to see my doctor that has done the Whole 30 thing a few times and ask her about its roundness.

Even the creator of Whole30 doesn't recommend doing Whole30 forever, although she certainly recommends keeping to the general principles of the plan for daily life.

Thanks. What I have read so far pasted below mirrors my thought but now I have to get to the doctor and I will ask her repeated experiences with Whole 30. The professional views below shows Whole 30 is health to do full time from your link.

"Dear Louis:

First, congratulations! One hundred days of Whole30 is no small feat—and over your birthday, no less. You should be really proud of your efforts, and I’m glad to hear you are reaping the benefits of your hard work. Now, on to your question: Can you do the Whole30 for the rest of your life? I’ll give you my two-part answer.

The Theoretical Answer: Yes, you totally could.
    If you really wanted to, you could absolutely do the Whole30 for the rest of your life. Not only that, you could do the Whole30 forever and be optimally healthy.

Unlike other “diet” programs, the Whole30 has no temporary induction period, doesn’t restrict calories, and provides you with an abundance of the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and fiber essential for good health. (If you want a detailed illustration of nutrition in a typical Whole30 day, refer to page 109 in It Starts With Food.)

In fact, were you to stay on the Whole30 forever, we think you’d be as healthy as you could possibly be on any eating plan, because our program maximizes nutrients while minimizing gut disruption and inflammation. You’d be eating tons of nutrient-dense foods, absorbing all of those great nutrients, and keeping your metabolism and immune system in a healthy balance.

In addition, you’d still be able to enjoy delicious, rewarding foods without worrying about the “no brakes” effect of processed junk foods. Those Whole30 rewarding foods come with built-in brakes—fiber, water, protein, fat, and micronutrients—which means you can enjoy, indulge, and not get sucked into the regret/guilt/shame cycle you used to be stuck in with the “comfort foods” you used to eat.

Finally, don’t just take our word for it—believe in the hundreds of medical professionals (including Dr. Matt Mechtenberg) who say the Whole30 is both safe and healthy, even beyond the initial 30-day period....."
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Thanks. What I have read so far pasted below mirrors my thought but now I have to get to the doctor and I will ask her repeated experiences with Whole 30. The professional views below shows Whole 30 is health to do full time from your link.

"Dear Louis:

First, congratulations! One hundred days of Whole30 is no small feat—and over your birthday, no less. You should be really proud of your efforts, and I’m glad to hear you are reaping the benefits of your hard work. Now, on to your question: Can you do the Whole30 for the rest of your life? I’ll give you my two-part answer.

The Theoretical Answer: Yes, you totally could.
    If you really wanted to, you could absolutely do the Whole30 for the rest of your life. Not only that, you could do the Whole30 forever and be optimally healthy.

Unlike other “diet” programs, the Whole30 has no temporary induction period, doesn’t restrict calories, and provides you with an abundance of the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and fiber essential for good health. (If you want a detailed illustration of nutrition in a typical Whole30 day, refer to page 109 in It Starts With Food.)

In fact, were you to stay on the Whole30 forever, we think you’d be as healthy as you could possibly be on any eating plan, because our program maximizes nutrients while minimizing gut disruption and inflammation. You’d be eating tons of nutrient-dense foods, absorbing all of those great nutrients, and keeping your metabolism and immune system in a healthy balance.

In addition, you’d still be able to enjoy delicious, rewarding foods without worrying about the “no brakes” effect of processed junk foods. Those Whole30 rewarding foods come with built-in brakes—fiber, water, protein, fat, and micronutrients—which means you can enjoy, indulge, and not get sucked into the regret/guilt/shame cycle you used to be stuck in with the “comfort foods” you used to eat.

Finally, don’t just take our word for it—believe in the hundreds of medical professionals (including Dr. Matt Mechtenberg) who say the Whole30 is both safe and healthy, even beyond the initial 30-day period....."

Of course the creator of Whole30 is going to say her plan is healthy. I'm not sure why you would expect her to say otherwise. The point is that even *she* doesn't do it herself and she doesn't recommend that others do.

My doctor just said the same thing that you said.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I did not know how Whole 30 can free some people from having to count calories going forward.

https://bonappetit.com/story/whole-30-diet

"For the first time in my life, I felt more free than I had...ever. I wasn’t counting anything....."
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I suspect that just eating only foods you cook at home would have the same effect for some other people, without pointlessly cutting out perfectly healthy whole foods like dairy and legumes and whole grains.

I was just listening to a podcast on DASH, and it was refreshing, since they were actually talking about how the results of DASH (far better studied and proven than W30, which hasn't been at all) with dairy were even more positive.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Yes I understand Whole 30 is a short term elimination diet. Yes unprocessed carbs or fats seem to be fine but when we eat a mixture of processed carbs and fats like the milkshake all hell can break loose inside the body over time. To forbid whole grains is silly assuming they do not trigger some negative health reaction. The McD fresh ground beef with only salt and pepper added is about as good as fast food gets perhaps. I had a split tooth that was patched up pulled about 12 years ago and my issues with milk resolved so my issue with dairy was not as real as I thought it was. :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I did not know how Whole 30 can free some people from having to count calories going forward.

https://bonappetit.com/story/whole-30-diet

"For the first time in my life, I felt more free than I had...ever. I wasn’t counting anything....."

Any way of eating can "free" you from having to count calories if it results in you consuming the number of calories that you need. This isn't inherent to Whole30, there are people who have similar stories for many different ways of eating.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    The Blue Zones by default excludes the eating of processed carbs and I guess the same goes for Whole 30. I know when I cut out grains and foods with added sugar my weight loss just happened without me trying to lose weight. Getting free from the need to count calories and track food is real freedom to me and still be able to lose weight and or maintain. I do not know what DASH is but I have seen it in print.

The Blue Zones don't all exclude processed carbohydrates though. There are people in some areas who are eating foods like white rice or bread.