Does anyone use fitbit with negative calorie adjustments?

Options
I am wondering whether anyone has connected their fitbit to MFP with the negative calorie adjustment setting enabled and a deficit defined in MFP?

I am wondering how much success you have got from monitoring the calories (as they change) and whether you try to keep "available" calories. It feels like i am eating way too much but still managed to be within my range.

Here's an example of yesterday:

Fitbit calorie burn: 2986
MFP Calorie intake:2359
MFP Remaining calories: 151
MFP Goal Calories: 2060
MFP Goal: Lose 0.5kg per week

I suppose my question is how confident can i really be in those figures, I lost about 3kg in about 12 days so reduced my goal from lose 1kg to 0.5 and since then i haven't really lost any weight even with increased exercise (I guess body composition could be changing but surely not that fast?).

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i log food in mfp and exercise/calories earned from fitbit calories

for me, it seems pretty accurate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have my Fitbit synced and I use the calorie adjustments. It is accurate for me.
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have MFP and fitbit synced, and I log food on MFP but make sure that I am in "the green" for my daily graph on fitbit, if that makes sense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    joshuwar wrote: »
    I am wondering whether anyone has connected their fitbit to MFP with the negative calorie adjustment setting enabled and a deficit defined in MFP?

I am wondering how much success you have got from monitoring the calories (as they change) and whether you try to keep "available" calories. It feels like i am eating way too much but still managed to be within my range.

I suppose my question is how confident can i really be in those figures, I lost about 3kg in about 12 days so reduced my goal from lose 1kg to 0.5 and since then i haven't really lost any weight even with increased exercise (I guess body composition could be changing but surely not that fast?).

When you first lose weight, it usually drops off pretty fast because you lose a lot of water weight and you're eating less so you have less food and inherent waste in your system. After a couple of weeks, it normalizes and weight loss is much slower. Personally, I would have kept it at 1 Kg for a couple more weeks.

I find my Fitbit to jive fairly close to my own data and be pretty accurate.
  • joshuwar
    joshuwar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

When you first lose weight, it usually drops off pretty fast because you lose a lot of water weight and you're eating less so you have less food and inherent waste in your system. After a couple of weeks, it normalizes and weight loss is much slower. Personally, I would have kept it at 1 Kg for a couple more weeks.

I find my Fitbit to jive fairly close to my own data and be pretty accurate.

That's really helpful, so do you aim to get "0" on the calories remailing or having a little left in the tank?
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have MFP and fitbit synced, and I log food on MFP but make sure that I am in "the green" for my daily graph on fitbit, if that makes sense.

Same here
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I’ve only had the Fitbit for a few weeks. The number of exercise calories it adds to MFP seems like a lot to me (compared to how many exercise calories I added for myself a couple of years when I lost weight successfully). So right now I’m leaving an average of 300 calories per day on the table a day. I might not need to leave that many but I’m going to stick with this right now and adjust later if necessary.
  • joshuwar
    Options
    I’ve only had the Fitbit for a few weeks. The number of exercise calories it adds to MFP seems like a lot to me (compared to how many exercise calories I added for myself a couple of years when I lost weight successfully). So right now I’m leaving an average of 300 calories per day on the table a day. I might not need to leave that many but I’m going to stick with this right now and adjust later if necessary.

That's exactly my feeling, I feel the calories that i am burning from fitbit are very high too, might just be me but burning and average of 3000+ calories in a sedentary job with managing around 10k steps and 35-50 min gym sesssions 3-4 times a week.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

That's exactly my feeling, I feel the calories that i am burning from fitbit are very high too, might just be me but burning and average of 3000+ calories in a sedentary job with managing around 10k steps and 35-50 min gym sesssions 3-4 times a week.

What are your stats?

For what it’s worth I’m 5’2 and currently about 120 lbs with a desk job. When I’m active in warmer months - which is about 12k steps and light circuit training a few times a week, my TDEE per my FitBit is 2200. My results of trusting that and losing/maintaining as planned shows it’s accurate for me. If you’re male, taller, heavier, and hitting the gym hard regularly then yeah, 3000 or more calories seems reasonable.
  • joshuwar
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What are your stats?

For what it’s worth I’m 5’2 and currently about 120 lbs with a desk job. When I’m active in warmer months - which is about 12k steps and light circuit training a few times a week, my TDEE per my FitBit is 2200. My results of trusting that and losing/maintaining as planned shows it’s accurate for me. If you’re male, taller, heavier, and hitting the gym hard regularly then yeah, 3000 or more calories seems reasonable.

sounds interesting, i am 5ft 8, weigh 90kg and train 4 times a week so maybe it is right, very interesting