Intermittent Question

Options
Four days ago I weighed in at 176, today 173. Is this normal? I so want to be excited but maybe this is just a fluke 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’ve been doing low carb but just started intermittent fasting last week sometime. TIA

Replies

• KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Totally possible! Though a lot of it might be water weight to. Hard to say. I know people who have more to lose also tend to see larger jumps in the scale quicker at first as well. Definitely keep going but dont get discouraged if you dont see as big of a jump next week or progress stalls eventually!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    3-5 pounds is well within a daily fluctuation range.

Intermittent fasting did not cause it. It's still about calories and/or water losses.

And yeah, like KristaMac said, initial losses tied to lower carb are not fat loss, they're water loss. It's more likely that your loss was water tied to lower carbs. Be prepared for ups and downs.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above! I was 180.6 yesterday, 184.0 this morning. I'm weighing several times a week and averaging it out which seems the best way so far.

That said, I would rather go by look and feel as that's most important to me, especially how I feel. Scales are great for seeing which way I'm trending, but I don't want to let that bit of plastic and metal kill my excitement about any gains I make.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Don’t be shocked if you’re at 176 tomorrow. Weight fluctuates daily but fat loss does not. I suggest using a trending app (Happy Scale or Libra) so you get an overall trend instead of the daily ups and downs. Also going low carb will eliminate some water at first. IF has nothing to do with fat loss, being in a calorie deficit will. IF is a useful way for some people though to remain at a deficit.
  • nadean1980
    nadean1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone but I’ve been doing low carb for 51 days now so I think the water weight has been gone. But good to know that this is normal for intermittent fasting! My weight loss slowed until I started the intermittent fasting 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    nadean1980 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone but I’ve been doing low carb for 51 days now so I think the water weight has been gone. But good to know that this is normal for intermittent fasting! My weight loss slowed until I started the intermittent fasting 🤷🏻‍♀️

Weight fluctuations are common no matter when you eat your food. Of course, if you've recently stopped eating late at night due to your new schedule then the digestion cycle is going to change so if you weigh yourself in the mornings, there can be changes due to that.

Weight loss is about lower calories. Up to five pounds of daily weight fluctuations happen due to many variables, like salt, sleep, carbs, stress, travel, time of month for menstruating women, illness/inflammation, new exercises, etc.

We are not saying that IF is causing you to lose weight faster. It just isn't so.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    nadean1980 wrote: »

You'll always have water weight in your body. The amount changes based on various internal and external factors (including but not limited to diet, exercise, hormones, sodium, etc). Even 51 days into low carb you're going to see those amounts fluctuate from day to day.