Bariatric Surgery

2»

Replies

• merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    It’s a big decision. I am good friends with two people that had the surgery and they both lost significant weight fast. One recovered easily, the other struggled for a couple weeks. After three years, they both regained the weight and I think psychologically, that has been the hardest part. Devastating really. I know people have benefited greatly but in the end, the surgery forces you to eat less but that doesn’t stay that way forever. I don’t have an answer but eventually, it comes down to being able to reduce portions on your own. If that’s the kick start you need, awesome. If you can find a way to do that without surgery, even better.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Whatever you decide, wish you all the best.
  • YEGKate
    YEGKate Posts: 3 Member
    I am so happy to read your comments, inspired by looking at some of your before and after photos, and reading those profiles that I have access to. Sending each of you warm thoughts and thanks for taking the time to respond.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    WLS is a huge committment. If you aren't prepared to do it then I suggest waiting. I had a lapband installed and had to get it removed due to complications. It didn't help me lose any weight. I had dieted on and off for most of my life but at 59 I lost over 100 lbs on my own with calorie counting. I have maintained for over a year now and intend to continue. What changed? My perspective. I was concerned about my health and I decided to figure out what weight loss program I could live with for life. Most people diet with the short term in mind thinking they can go back to their old habits some day. This is a mistake. Find a way of life you can live with and stick to it. I am thrilled that I was able to lose the weight without cutting up my body any more than I had. If you choose that route you will still need to make similar changes (maybe even more drastic ones) in your eating lifestyle.

There are several big losers on here who have lost large amounts of weight and kept it off without surgery. I suggest learning from them and checking out the success stories section. I also will suggest a book called "Thin for Life" which tells the story of people who lost and more importantly MAINTAINED their loss and how they did it.

Good luck.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Hop over to the member blogs and read back from @The_Movie_Chair's blog. It's a documented weight loss with all of the real struggles and victories, with Life's ups and downs thrown in. This lady has stuck with it and literally changed her life. It's an awesome read (as are other blogs over there). You can do this. Yes, it's going to be hard, but it will be a total brain shift in your relationship to food either way. Maybe delay the surgery and give it a go making lifestyle changes. With a supportive husband, you already have someone on your side :heart:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited January 2019
    lorrpb wrote: »
    "Most people" don't maintain their weight loss, even with surgery. Your doctor forgot to mention that statistic.

One of the main reasons people don't maintain weight loss is because they don't follow the plan they are given by their surgeon and his team. Like with any other lifestyle change involving your health, you still have to do the work and you still have to be consistent. Surgery is not the be-all, end-all, it is a tool, and like any tool you might have in your tool box, you have to use it the right way to get the best results.

ETA - I am a believer that you have to work on yourself from the inside out. Before I ever considered WLS, I went to a therapist because in my opinion there had to be something wrong for me to have let myself get to 400 lbs. I think working on my issues gave me an advantage as far as approaching WLS with the right mindset to be successful. If you aren't mentally ready for it, you can be setting yourself up for failure.