Cup to gram/ml converter

Hi people, can someone suggest a reliable app for CUP to gram/ml converter? Can Fitnesspall do it? If you have some hacks for such conversions, please share... thank you 😊

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    While there are some liquid that reliably weigh X amount of grams per X cups/mls, the issue you're going to run into is that a cup is not a measure for weight whereas a gram is. Cups to other liquid measures is easy enough though. I typically type it into the address bar in Google Chrome, though googling it works just as well. So say a search of "2 cups to ml"
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Go by weight wherever possible for accuracy's sake. That said, if you need to convert volume to weight for logging or recipe purposes, honestly just ask Google - the trick is to specify the food you are talking about as denser foods will have more weight by volume.

E.g. "okay, Google: how much does a quarter cup of butter weigh?"
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    When doing a recipe for the first time and using MFP's recipe builder, I measure out a cup of flour or butter or whatever and weigh it on my digital scale and register it by weight. I make a note on my original recipe in pencil. By now I know how much a cup of butter or flour weighs in grams.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    While there are some liquid that reliably weigh X amount of grams per X cups/mls, the issue you're going to run into is that a cup is not a measure for weight whereas a gram is. Cups to other liquid measures is easy enough though. I typically type it into the address bar in Google Chrome, though googling it works just as well. So say a search of "2 cups to ml"

One issue is that the volume of a cup varies from country to country.

Sparlingo wrote: »
    Go by weight wherever possible for accuracy's sake. That said, if you need to convert volume to weight for logging or recipe purposes, honestly just ask Google - the trick is to specify the food you are talking about as denser foods will have more weight by volume.

E.g. "okay, Google: how much does a quarter cup of butter weigh?"

An eighth of a pound (i.e., 2 oz. or 56 g.). Off the top of my head. Don't need no Google for that. (You can just look at the printing on the wrapper on the stick of butter. 1 stick of butter = 1/4 pound or a half cup/8 Tbsp.)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Hi people, can someone suggest a reliable app for CUP to gram/ml converter? Can Fitnesspall do it? If you have some hacks for such conversions, please share... thank you 😊

Can't really do that since a cup is a volume measurement...a cup of, say quinoa is going to weigh more than a cup of, say spinach. Most entries in the database also have weight as an option, you just have to find the right entry.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

If you are in the US and have purchased liquid measuring cups, all you need to do is turn them around since they come marked with the cup/ounce measurements on one side and the metrics on the other side.

If you are using dry measuring cups for liquids, don't. They are not accurate. Same thing with using liquid measuring cups for dry ingredients.

Weigh all solids and semi solids (like peanut butter or mayo) and measure all liquids.

One US liquid ounce is 29.5 ml. If I am converting in my head, I do 30. When converting weights, 1 US ounce is 28.3 grams. When converting in my head, I do 28.

A liquid ounce is NOT going to be the same as an ounce by weight. Volume and weight will be different for anything except water.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Ditch the cups. Get a food scale and always try for grams or ounces.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2019
    Volume -> volume, 1 cup = 237mL (8 fluid oz.). You can not convert to grams automatically without knowing density...dimensions 101
  • tanalukacova9371
    tanalukacova9371 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you everyone! So basically, the best approach is to forget Cups and to weight everything.... do what you do if the recipe says 1/2 cup of rolled oat meals? Should i just goolge how many grams it is and then simply use the scale...? Thanks all again
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    usually the package will say something like like serving size 1/2 cup (40 grams). at least mine does.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    ktekc wrote: »
    usually the package will say something like like serving size 1/2 cup (40 grams). at least mine does.

This! You can also still follow the recipe using cups just put your half cup on the scale, tare, and then add oats to see how many grams it weighs. You’ll realize quickly that half a cup of oats is a bit more than 40 grams (mine is 45 grams).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Thank you everyone! So basically, the best approach is to forget Cups and to weight everything.... do what you do if the recipe says 1/2 cup of rolled oat meals? Should i just goolge how many grams it is and then simply use the scale...? Thanks all again

Put the recipe into your recipe builder. Measure out the 1/2 cup of oats, then weigh it and enter the weight into the recipe builder.