Can't lose weight!

I am a 39 year old mom of 3. I have hoshimotos and have done the HCG diet in the past. I did HCG for 3 rounds 6 years ago. I lost a total of 50 pounds but put back 10 lbs. And pretty well kept it off for 4 years. But could never lose more than the total 50. In Feb 2018 I started a whole food plant based diet (wfpb) along with exercising 3-4 days a week. I have not lost an ounce! I have actually gained 15lbs!!! I am beyond frustrated. I am eating healthier than I have ever ate in my life. When I talk to doctors all they say is eat less. I average 1200-1300 cal per day...how much less do I have to eat!?! Then when I reach out to other people everyone wants me to buy expensive supplements. I can't afford that. Any help??

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Are you using a food scale? Are you checking the database entries you're using to be sure they have accurate calorie info?

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited January 2019
    If you are not losing weight then you are not accurately tracking your calories. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?

ETA Clarity
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Supplements are useless for permanent weight control. As is the dangerous HCG diet. For best suggestions, best to let people know your current stats and how much you currently want to lose. As well as opening up your food diary so people can make suggestions there. Also, "eating healthy" doesn't mean much when it comes to the weight loss game, but calories do. And weighing and carefully tracking every thing matters.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Lower your carbs, any starchy foods pastas, potatoes includes anything with add sugar including fruits. Don't eat any sugars.the carbs make you hungrier. More fat in your diet you'll be less hungry. Check out Dr.Boz on YouTube she's a real doctor of internal medicine.

Carbs don't make everyone hungry, and fat doesn't make everyone less hungry. And OP didn't say anything about struggling with hunger being the problem.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Lower your carbs, any starchy foods pastas, potatoes includes anything with add sugar including fruits. Don't eat any sugars.the carbs make you hungrier. More fat in your diet you'll be less hungry. Check out Dr.Boz on YouTube she's a real doctor of internal medicine.

Actually before I went WFPB I was on a high protein, moderate fat and lower carb diet. I felt hungrier this way, but since making the change I don't get the spikes in hunger like before. I know n does not equal 1, but making generalized statements like this is what causes people to be so confused. Chances are OP is not logging correctly (weighing and using correct entries).
    And just because Dr. Boz is an internal medicine MD doesn't mean she is someone to put much stock in. Med students only get ~20 hours of nutrition advice and from my experience (and I'm in the medical field) most practitioners just give advice by what they have tried, what they have heard/seen from other patients/friends and what they read online (like most of us). I think advocating a high fat diet to the general masses is reckless medicine. But that's just my opinion. Most people who do keto are eating processed meats and unhealthy processed "keto friendly" foods. Yes they lose at first, but this is mostly water weight and is not typically sustainable in the long term.
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    You still haven't opened up your food diary, or given your current stats so that people can better give you suggestions and advice on what you might be doing wrong. But no one gains 15 pounds on 1300 calories a day. You are eating more than you think.
  • chrismprice
    chrismprice Posts: 7 Member
    I switched to a WFPB diet in March of 2014, I lost 75lbs going from 275 to 200 with considerable effort, over the course of a few years I mostly kept it off but gradually regained as I became more and more complacent until last May 2018 I was back up to 247 still eating a predominantly WFPB diet. In June of this year I added a Gastric sleeve to my tool box and now I am down to 182 my lowest weight in nearly 20 years and still losing steadily. I have been tremendously successful with my sleeve largely because I have been eating a very healthy diet for almost 6 years and I continue to eat a very healthy predominantly WFPB diet, my food diary is open. There is an article I really like https://www.precisionnutrition.com/metabolic-damage. Your body can't defy the laws of physics, you are taking in more than you realize, burning less or some combination. The complex equation goes something like this...Changes in body stores (weightloss/gain)=(actual calories eaten-calories not absorbed)-(resting metabolic rate+thermic effect of eating+physical activity+non-exercise activity thermogenesis). Calorie density and keeping the foods as whole as possible but for me the solution was really fixing my capacity, I was hungry all the time and I could eat a lot of food. Now I am not hungry and I can eat about 8-12 oz depending on the food.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    I looked up Hoshimoto's, but Google changed it to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (is this correct)? I wanted to see what came up as far as diet suggestions, because perhaps a person without this may not understand what needs to be avoided or eaten more of in your case. However, everything I'm seeing says there's no special diet suggested.
    I really do think it comes down to food choices and being truthful with how you log both diet and exercise. I've spent the last few years trying fad diets, eating plain chicken w/out salt and asparagus right before weigh-ins (every 6 months I have to do this for work). It works a bit, but it's not healthy or sustainable and I knew it. Find healthy, filling foods you like and stick to the 1,200 calories. If you get anything through beverages cut back, I try to get the majority of my caffeine through hot tea because I know I won't add sugar.

Overall, you know if you're being truthful with what you eat, people are just trying to figure out the root of the problem and help you from there. My suggestion is find a healthy way of eating you can keep up with.