How do you suppress your cravings?

Options
I’m getting better at eating healthier but I still have a lot of cravings for junk/fast food!! What do you do that helps get rid of these bad cravings?

Replies

• Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don’t have a sweet tooth but I find when I’m craving junk I make myself a low calorie hot chocolate and it helps fill me up and suppress my cravings for takeout. I also try and be creative in the kitchen and replicate my fave foods in a healthy way. Every Sunday we have “hot chip day” where we bike into town. I plan my Sunday’s so well that I can allow myself to still enjoy some takeout on a Sunday without going over my calories. I think if I said no to takeout full stop I would fight it and cave in to a huge takeout feast
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think craving food is fine. I don’t always give in but I still eat most ‘junky’ foods in moderation. Sometimes when I know my carvings is just boredom or hormones than I’ll make some hot tea with lemons (sweet craving), drink some chicken broth (salty craving), and then see what I can make for dinner tomorrow that includes whatever I’m craving like pizza or a burger or fries or an extra half cup of ice cream. If I know I’m going to eat it later that week than I get kind of excited for my next day.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Better sleep has helped a lot.

Caffeine helps, so does being busy.
  • danihorne58
    danihorne58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What saves me is PGX which is a natural fiber Plus club soda when I have a craving I tell myself I can indulge after an hour after drinking the pop then by that time the PGX has taken away the sugar craving and the bubbles have made me feel full
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    It depends. I have a sweet tooth. If I do a longer run, I allow myself extra indulgences i.e. ice cream or beer. I make it fit in my calorie goal for the day. Sometimes I will have something sweet for lunch instead of a healthier lunch (i.e. cinnamon roll or muffin instead of cheese sandwich). I also have a lot of years of asking myself "Do I really want that or am I just bored, tired, or frustrated?" I try not to indulge in emotional or bored eating. I'll go do some yoga or get on the bike instead. I only eat out about once a week, since the calorie count for restaurant meals is so high. I try to make it something I really enjoy, not just junk food. If I go over, I don't worry about it.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Also... figure out what you're craving and why. Knowing those things might make the cravings easier to manage/mitigate.
  • MadelineBean_
    MadelineBean_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't. If I want junk food, I make it fit. Unless you're planning on never eating said junk food again, why cut it out?

For me it's hard to control portions. Better to not have it in the house at all.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Also... figure out what you're craving and why. Knowing those things might make the cravings easier to manage/mitigate.

When it is possible. I am pretty good at pattern recognition and I still don't always understand some of mine.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

When it is possible. I am pretty good at pattern recognition and I still don't always understand some of mine.

oh, for sure. definitely one of those things that is easier said than done.