Seniors?

Any seniors out there looking for some motivation and help to get back in shape? I am 65 and lost 100 lbs with MFP in 2018. I walk 20 minutes and row 4,000 meters everyday. Send me a message! I might respond :smile:

Replies

• 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,182 Member
    I am almost 55. Does that count? I gained part of the weight you lost in 2018! LOL!
  • nanceebry
    nanceebry Posts: 1 Member
    Congrats on the 100 pounds. Rowing sounds interesting. Good luck on maintaining.
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    If you decide to start a senior motivation group, I'm in!
  • Susiew2018
    Susiew2018 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm 70. Wanting to lose 70 lbs & was successful in losing 36 lbs 7 yrs ago when I would walk a lot. Back pain now so I'm trying not as much walking. I would be interested in hearing any ideas you might have. 100 lbs is a lot!
  • RetiredinGeorgia
    RetiredinGeorgia Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks. IMHO, it’s all a numbers game...calories in, calories out...especially for us seniors.
    Figure out your BMR by your age, sex, weight and activity level and subtract how much you want to lose.
    A pound of fat=3500 calories (500/day)
    So if your Basic Metabolic Rate is 2000 cals/day, like me, 2000-500=a net caloric intake, daily, of 1500 calories for a 1 lb per week weight loss. Now if you exercise regularly, the more calories you burn, the more weight you lose.
    I will say, the important part of doing it this way is making informed, intelligent food choices. If you cut your calories way down to lose weight, you have to maximize your vitamin/mineral intake. Whole single ingredient nutrient-rich foods are important.
    Good luck.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    71 here we need a seniors group setting up.
  • blrbunch
    blrbunch Posts: 3 Member
    You are a beast RetiredinGeorgia! I've lost that much but 10 lbs at a time- up 10, down 10, up 10, down 10.... I think I see a pattern! Seriously though, thanks for the BMR formula. I hadn't really thought of that. My doctor says my body is ready for the ice flow! (Think of the Inuit when that's what they did with their old or dying. At least that's the urban lore story.) Thanks again for posting.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member

BMR is the calories one burns in a coma like state. It is not the number one should use to base one’s deficit on.

Use MFP to set up your goal. This includes your basic daily activity plus your BMR. You need to fuel your daily activity.

MFP does not include exercise calories, add them and eat them back, exercise needs fueling too.

Depending on one’s weight, eating 500 cals below one’s BMR and not eating back exercise cals can lead to lethargy, confusion, loss of bone and muscle, and general poor health.

As an older person, a focus on good nutrition, with plenty of protein, adequate good fats and fibre is important. Us older folk need more protein than when we were younger to help with muscle retention.

Exercise both cardio and resistance/weight training helps with lung and heart function and bone and muscle retention/density.
    If your new to it, start slow and build slowly. Injury and burnout can be discouraging, and recover tends to take longer.

Cheers, h.
    (65, maintained for 9yr, lift, yoga, row, swim (lessons as I’m learning), aquafit, Pilates.)