Help 😪

I tend to hold more fat in my back and arms and I feel lifting heavy from my upper will result in me looking even more wide which I don’t want that. Should I just lift light? Losing weight but wanting to tone up at the same time is freaking confusing.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    what he said.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If you carry fat in certain areas lifting will not make them more fat. It can help you retain muscle in those areas as you lose but how you lose fat is a result of genetics.
    For example I carry most of my fat in my lower body and work it twice as hard as my upper body and the result in a deficit is more definition and reduced measurements as I lose over time.

Follow a progressive lifting program. Lift according to the weight and reps prescribed. Get adequate protein. Eat in a not too aggressive deficit.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    You will not get accidentally gains or bulk in a calorie deficit. It takes serious work and you’d need to be in a calorie surplus. If you want to shape your muscle, you should lift heavy.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    You lose the back and arm fat (and other fat) by eating less than you burn. Losing weight without enough muscle work (if you lifted only lightly or not at all) would mean that you'd be more likely to lose muscle along with fat. You'd wind up smaller but still look soft and shapeless.
    Lifting heavy plus calorie deficit = eventually losing fat and looking smaller and more compact. And it's harder to gain muscle back after losing it, so it's better to keep the muscle as you lose fat.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    YIKES sorry I see this is an old thread.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    You can lift 'light' as long as you have time under tension
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member

I’ve seen this a lot on Instagram, what in the world is time over tension lol?
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    JanetReyna wrote: »

I’ve seen this a lot on Instagram, what in the world is time over tension lol?

It's the length of time a muscle is under strain during a set of exercises. A slow 'up and down' action of a dumbbell curl for instance in a controlled manner with a 'squeeze' of the bicep at the top of the lift is just as good as a quicker paced set with heavier weights.

Increase load or increase time!