How do you change your BMR?

Options
On here? And do you go by the calculation you did on here, or the HB Formula?

:ohwell:

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The Harris Benedict formula takes your BMR _as input_ and produces a total daily calorie expenditure. For me, the HB formula comes way closer than the MFP numbers, so I basically took that number, subtracted 500 for my deficit and use that as my daily calorie target. You can change your daily calorie goal on here, by going to Goals -> Change Goals -> Custom. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    BMR is how much you would burn just laying in bed all day, which you can't really change by anything except changing your body weight. However, how many calories you truly burn a day depends on your activity level and the amount of exercise you do.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well according th one BMR on here, mine is just over 1400. If I subtract 500 from that, it'll leave me with 900 :indifferent:
  • taiyola
    Options
    The Harris Benedict formula takes your BMR _as input_ and produces a total daily calorie expenditure. For me, the HB formula comes way closer than the MFP numbers, so I basically took that number, subtracted 500 for my deficit and use that as my daily calorie target. You can change your daily calorie goal on here, by going to Goals -> Change Goals -> Custom. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

Think I'll use the HB one then, I can't bear to have my goal as 900 a day :| thanks :)
  • taiyola
    Options
    HB = 1483.5

:noway:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate (what your body burns to fuel vital functions)
    TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure (what you cut calories from to lose weight)

BMR does not equal TDEE

If your BMR is 1483, you would multiply that by your activity level to get your TDEE.

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Also, if you only have 20 pounds to lose, it's not going to come off fast. You might be better with a half pound per week goal or 250 cal deficit per day.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    So wait, is 1483 your BMR or the HB number? Which calc did you use? They all seem to give slightly different numbers. I tend to usually use this one: http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-metabolism-calculator
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well according th one BMR on here, mine is just over 1400. If I subtract 500 from that, it'll leave me with 900 :indifferent:

BMR is not the same as maintenance calories. maintenance is BMR plus an activity allowance. go to goals tab and look at calories burned from normal daily activity, your deficit is the difference between this number and you MFP goal intake.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

BMR is not the same as maintenance calories. maintenance is BMR plus an activity allowance. go to goals tab and look at calories burned from normal daily activity, your deficit is the difference between this number and you MFP goal intake.

^^^ This
  • taiyola
    Options
    I wanted to know how to change this on MFP:

"Your diet Profile Target
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1760 calories/day "

I changed it on here to 1760 the other week after going on some website, but now I want to change it to the HB Formula number, and it's DRIVING ME CRAZY that I can't find how to do it. :explode:
  • taiyola
    Options

That's the bit I need to change back... the daily activity bit...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Let MFP do the math.

Enter your weight, height, age, gender. Enter Goal weight. Choose 1/2 lb per week (you can't lose much more than that safely with only 20 lbs to lose.)

Enter your activity level. DON'T put Sedentary just because it will let you! Unless you do nothing all day, you're not sedentary.

Enter your exercise when you do it and eat the exercise calories. At your age and weight loss goal, you have to eat those calories. The people here who say they aren't eating the exercise calories and are still losing weight have a LOT more body fat than you do, and can get away with not eating exercise calories.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

That's the bit I need to change back... the daily activity bit...

You can change your daily activity level by going to Settings, Update Diet/Fitness Profile. :wink:
  • jennyct10
    jennyct10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If your BMR differs significantly than the equation (done via indirect calorimetry), I think it makes sense to adjust it. I spend way too much time already to "guess" why I can't lose weight.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    jennyct10 wrote: »
    If your BMR differs significantly than the equation (done via indirect calorimetry), I think it makes sense to adjust it. I spend way too much time already to "guess" why I can't lose weight.

That last post was from 2011.