Weight loss and post menapause

Any good exercise rountines for weight loss after menopause out there?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited January 2019
    It really isn't different post menopause.

If you haven't been working out, start with some form of cardio you enjoy, maybe 3 times a week, at a level that's manageable but fun and a tiny bit challenging. Work up (if necessary based on current fitness) to half an hour 3 times a week. It can be anything: Walking, couch to 5K, skating, group classes, cycling, swimming, games, martial arts - whatever you enjoy. Fun is important!

Then, add some strength training. Good info here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Don't let the thread title alarm you: There are good beginner programs, including some with minimal equipment if you don't have access to a gym.

When that routine (3 days cardio, 2-3 days strength) feels manageable, and you need a bit more challenge, and have enough time while still maintaining good life balance (enough time for job, family, non-exercise hobbies, etc.), add some more cardio. That can be adding more days, or adding more time on the 3 days, or making the cardio more intense. Just keep challenging yourself a bit, without exhausting yourself, little by little.

Over time, strive for the standard recommendation of 30 minutes x 5 days of cardio, and at least 2 days of strength training. If you get there, and are feeling great, keep going for more, following your interests and enjoyment as a guide.

You'll surprise yourself with what you can do, over time, I'm certain.

I was very inactive until after chemotherapy-induced menopause at age 46 - after stage III breast cancer. I knew I needed more activity in my life if I was ever going to feel strong and healthy again. Slowly and gradually, I became more active. I stayed obese for quite some time, but actually became very active, even competing as an athlete (in rowing, on water and machine).

Eventually, I recognized that I needed to lose weight, too. In 2015, I used MFP to lose about a third of my bodyweight at age 59-60, and have been at a healthy body weight since (I'm 63 now). In season, I row 4 days a week, and spin 2 days. In the offseason (river frozen ;) ), I continue spinning, do some machine rowing, and usually do off-season strength training and a little swimming.

Menopause is no big deal: You can get lots stronger and fitter, if that's what you want. :flowerforyou:

ETA: The weight loss is more about calorie intake, IMO, more than exercise . . . though exercise ist great and life-changing.

I did this eating plan:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    @AnnPT77 thanks for sharing your journey. Congratulations on being a BC survivor. I teach breast health and awareness with Komen in my community.

I do workout 3 to 4 days a week. I’m trying to lose 5lbs and I’m seems like my tone is no longer present. I read an article that women do gain weight post menapause. I will review the links. Again thanks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited January 2019
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 thanks for sharing your journey. Congratulations on being a BC survivor. I teach breast health and awareness with Komen in my community.

I do workout 3 to 4 days a week. I’m trying to lose 5lbs and I’m seems like my tone is no longer present. I read an article that women do gain weight post menapause. I will review the links. Again thanks.

I'd don't particularly doubt that that's true, in a statistical sense. Mostly, we lose muscle mass, and become less active, both of which are things within our control to improve.

Many women, IMO, also undereat protein; and quite a few yo-yo in weight (which is mostly lose fat+muscle, regain primarily fat, over and over, leading to progressively worse body composition as time goes on) . . . at least this is what I see around me, sadly frequently.

ETA: Speaking only for myself, I try not to spend much mindshare on "what happens to women" and try to focus more on the things I can control or influence to achieve my goals . . . which is mostly my own behavior. :flowerforyou:
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    @ann77 you are right. We are all different. My aim is to be a healthy and not worry anymore about whether I look as good as I did at 25. Lol. I’m over 50 and thankful for each day the good Lord gives me. 😎