Cheat Days

Options
Okay, so I am occasionally allowing myself a cheat day. Does anyone else do this? If so, do you log your calories? What do you do if you eat out and really don't know how many calories are in a meal?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no i dont. i make room in my calories for the things i want.

if im over, so be it.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It’s not cheating. I would not just go all out for an entire day. I would for one meal though. Especially if ribeye and butter are involved. And probably just estimate my calories.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I think the answer will somewhat depends on what you mean by cheating...
    - is it going over your calorie goal? If so, is it by a set amount, or is it a free-for-all?
    - is it eating a certain food/type of food that you don't normally? If so, is it by a certain amount, or is it a free-for-all?
    - is it something else?

Personally, I don't do cheat days. For me, they do not encourage good habits/behaviors.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Logging teaches you about your own habits. It is also how you hold yourself accountable and learn when to say "no" or at least say "less". I hold all higher calorie "treat" food to a much higher standard now and if I don't feel it is worth the calories I don't eat it. I have gotten pickier and pickier and that is a very good thing.

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i don't really do cheat days. What I do is eat up to what my macros are and then maybe have dessert? I wouldn't do an entire cheat day. That can throw off all of your weightloss for the week.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’m not sure what you mean by a cheat day. Are you talking about a day where you don’t track? I don’t let myself do this anymore, because a cheat day inevitably turns into a cheat week, and, lo and behold, I gain 5 lbs.

This may be reaching, without knowing your whole story, but I’ve seen a lot of people here who fall into one or more of the following categories:

1) their deficit is too steep for how much/little they have to lose

2) they think they have to eat a specific, restrictive way in order to lose weight (Keto, Low carb, and “clean” seem to be the popular ones of the day)

My advice: eat the foods you like, but less of them so that you’re in a calorie deficit. Don’t make this harder on yourself by picking a way of eating that isn’t going to work for you long term. Do this, and you won’t need a “cheat day.”

Oh, and one final thought. It can be helpful to look at your weekly allowance in the context of a week as opposed to daily. For example, you might want to eat more on a day you’re going out with friends, which is fine. You can account for that by eating fewer calories for a couple days during the week.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,724 Member
    Options
    Well said, Witchaywoman81.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I cheated on my diet for three weeks it took me a full week ish to get back to my original diet- I guess it’s not that bad?

My cheat days usually consists of over eating on sweets.
  • mlsh69
    mlsh69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I am occasionally allowing myself a cheat day. Does anyone else do this? If so, do you log your calories? What do you do if you eat out and really don't know how many calories are in a meal?

I do occasionally and have during my 41lbs weight loss n maintenance. The key word is occasionally. Too many cheat days dont work for me. I realized that l was only cheating myself lol. Anyway, to answer your questions
    No l dont log calories and if l eat out l dont worry about it since lm not logging for that day.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,303 Member
    Options
    I have a meal off every week when I'm reducing. and it works for me. I don't drink all week..and I stick to my eating plan..and I go out to dinner one meal and have cocktails. I don't eat Mexican or anything like that.. seafood and small lean steak typically..with salad, veg. and potato.. martini and champagne. I lost all my weight doing it that way.

going out tomorrow night. can't wait.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I consider me having a cheat day everyday! As long as it stays in my calorie count, plus If had a burger or French fries or idk fried chicken, etc.. it’s always a plus.

My days off are difficult. Bf always asks to go out. I log them but they go over like couple thousands. I work it off again at gym and still consider it as bulking.

Heyyy my muscles need to recover right? Lol!