Goal weight- set low for water wt?

Options
Trying to figure out where to set my goal weight... I'm thinking 2-3 lbs lower than my actual goal, to account for water weight. I know once I increase my calories and start having some wine again, I'll gain some water weight back. Thoughts??

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    our bodies are mostly water. your weight is your weight.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The only time you should worry about water retention is if it is excessive enough to require a doctor visit.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Raegold wrote: »
    Trying to figure out where to set my goal weight... I'm thinking 2-3 lbs lower than my actual goal, to account for water weight. I know once I increase my calories and start having some wine again, I'll gain some water weight back. Thoughts??

The problem with that is that you don't really know whether you are holding more or less than your average fluid at any given time. It's already a component of your weight, so it really doesn't need to be accounted for. If you are functioning normally, the body carries whatever amount of fluid it needs at a given time.

That's why a range is more useful. Even more useful, if you are concerned about fat loss specifically, are measurements. Depending on whatever body composition you are after, your scale readings differ accordingly.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    In maintenance you'll have a range, not a set number. Usually the range is 3lbs-5lbs.