Please help

Options
Hello all,
My name is heather. I just stepped on the scale today at the bariatric doctors office. I weight in at my highest ever, 506 pounds. I'm a binge eater and have been diagnosed for it but I dont purge. I'm so scared please help me learn how to lose this weight. I just got a membership to the pool to workout and I also have a gym membership. Please dont judge me for being so huge, I just need help.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a really good podcast if you are interested - HalfSize Me.
  • getfitfaster18
    getfitfaster18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hmcfa4549 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    My name is heather. I just stepped on the scale today at the bariatric doctors office. I weight in at my highest ever, 506 pounds. I'm a binge eater and have been diagnosed for it but I dont purge. I'm so scared please help me learn how to lose this weight. I just got a membership to the pool to workout and I also have a gym membership. Please dont judge me for being so huge, I just need help.

You are a good person - sometimes you are stressed and you enjoy food more.

You don't need to be scared because you are going to change how you think about these things and you'll have plenty of support here.

You have taken the first step - now take it day by day. If you slip up, get back on the wagon immediately.

• ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    No one here would EVER, ever ever ever judge you for the number on a scale. You're in the right place. Deciding you want a change is step one. Reaching out for help is huge a step too. You CAN do this. You absolutely can. There's no reason on the face of this earth that you can't. There will be good days, bad days, horrible days, and awesome days. Just hang on. You can add me if you want and I'll be there to support you outside of this thread. You got this!!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I think it's fantastic that you're reaching out to your doctor and on here. That alone takes a lot of strength. There's excellent information and support here. The links that were posted above are a great place to start. I guarantee you that the people here would want nothing more than to see you succeed. No judgment! :)

• bonniou2
    bonniou2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Welcome!

Change is scary, but you can learn a lot here! Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum, there's lots of info there to get you started.

The first step I suggest to everyone is just start logging. Whatever you eat, even if it's not what you wanted it to be. You need to know what you're currently doing in order to know the best changes to make. Think of it as data you're collecting so you can make smart decisions.

:flowerforyou:
    Welcome!

Change is scary, but you can learn a lot here! Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum, there's lots of info there to get you started.

The first step I suggest to everyone is just start logging. Whatever you eat, even if it's not what you wanted it to be. You need to know what you're currently doing in order to know the best changes to make. Think of it as data you're collecting so you can make smart decisions.

Welcome!

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The most difficult thing about losing weight is deciding you are ready to do all the work. It didn't pack on in a day, it won't come off that way either. Invest in a good food scale and learn to use it to your advantage. The one I like allows you to put an empty bowl on it, and tare it out so the scale will read 0 with the empty bowl. That way you are only weighing food. Next, work with your doctor to decide how much you should be eating daily. Find recipes that will fit that caloric count that that you feel you would enjoy. The beauty of counting calories is that it allows you to eat anything, just not a much as you were before or not all the treats in one day. It is a bit of math, but the tools on this site make it relatively easy to log you foods, save your favorite meals and recipes, and help you keep track of the weight loss. Congratulations on taking that first step and coming here for support. I have found it easier if I tackle it one day at a time. If I stumble, it helps me to get back on track the next day. Good luck on your journey. You Got This!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’m sure you will get a lot of support from many people here. Most of us have issues that we are dealing with and you will not be judged. Take it one meal at a time, one day at a time.
    Best of luck to you!
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Welcome Heather.

No judgment here. Is that you in the picture? You're young and pretty, with your whole life ahead of you. You're doing the best thing you can to live your best life. Lots of great advice has already been offered. You can do this. There are lots of fads out there that may work for some, or some times. But I'm with many here, who are using a calorie deficit to lose weight. It's not cool or trendy, but it works all the time. That means I calculated how many calories I should eat every day to lose a healthy amount of weight each week. I log everything I eat or drink--everything! Everyone says it's hard, but it's been surprisingly easy for me. I did this once before, and instead of watching calories, I worked out like a fiend, ate low fat, and essentially burned myself out. Now, I work out like a lightweight wimp, and eat whatever fits into my daily calorie journal without going over. I've lost 74 lbs since August. I WILL reach my goal.

What do you mean when you say you're a diagnosed binge eater? I don't mean to judge, but that sounds like a behavior, not something physical. I don't doubt it's an issue for you, but I bring it up because that could be messing with your mental image of yourself. Never let yourself feel helpless to change. A lot of the process is mental and emotional. You could call yourself a recovering binge eater, or a former binge eater. Don't make it a lifelong sentence.

Good luck.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Heather! You can do this... it won't be quick, and it won't be easy, but you can do it. Baby steps.

There is SO much awesome help on these boards - definitely read the stickied threads at the top of each forum, and ask if you need more help.

Here are a couple of wonderful, inspiring weight loss stories from people who started out over 500lbs... perhaps you might find them useful and encouraging. Lots of hugs and best wishes!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10172591/3yrs-and-i-have-lost-over-320-pounds-you-can-do-it-too/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10684367/510-lbs-187-lbs-my-323-lb-weight-loss-story/p1
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You are taking the first brave step in a journey .. like going on a trip to a place you've never been, but dreamed about. It takes just doing it instead of thinking about it.

When you get to your goal..(and you will!). when you look back you will be amazed at how much you learned about health, food, nutrition, exercise. You will have changed almost everything about how you eat and live.

But you actually do it one step at a time...it is gradual..your strength from within and physical strength build with your resolve, as you realize that you can do this.
    Come here for support.. read through the forums for inspiration.. and spend 10 minutes a day researching health and fitness topics to learn new strategies. So glad you are here...and you are going to do great!
  • JosJourney2018
    JosJourney2018 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome Heather. Just follow the programme. Eat the recommended daily calories. Slowly introduce exercise (walking) and take each day as just a day that you will get through. There is no hurry. Do it right and do it slow. Good luck.
  • lemonita12
    lemonita12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather,
    welcome. I think most of us here struggle with the same thing, others more, others less, it's not easy though. You will find a lot of motivation here. If you can find help from your doctor or a professional in terms of what and how much to eat it would be great so that you have some realistic targets and you can use MFP for motivation, accountability but also for an understanding ear when things do not work out. Take care and good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @hmcfa4549, how's it going?!?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome Heather! Good for you for reaching out to a doctor and here. There is a great community here to support you. Small incremental steps are what people often find to be the most achievable long term.