Keto blues

Options
NerdTime1997
NerdTime1997 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2019 in Motivation and Support
Hey everyone,

I've recently taken on a keto lifestyle along with exercising five days a week. The first day or two I was feeling good but yesterday and today I'm tired, super irritated and just generally feeling bad.

So I was just wondering what some of you did to get over the keto blues.

Thanks!
Erin

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    While I don't completely agree that it's unhealthy I also don't think keto is something to take lightly.

Lots of research is needed to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need, and to make sure you are getting enough salt to keep electrolytes balanced.

Maybe join the LCHF group and read their FAQs.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto for 15 months to control migraines. You didn't include much information, but at a guess, you probably need lots more salt. Keto is going to cause a lot of water loss which will also flush a lot of water soluble nutrients, including sodium.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    There was a post not too long ago about someone asking about the correlation, if any, between them feeling depressed and the keto diet. Many people chimed in to say that the same thing happened to them. In my personal opinion, a diet should never have an impact on your mental health. If it does, then its probably not for you. Being on any diet that leaves me susceptible to depressed episodes or extreme irritability is just not worth it.
  • jessicarehll
    jessicarehll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I've recently taken on a keto lifestyle along with exercising five days a week. The first day or two I was feeling good but yesterday and today I'm tired, super irritated and just generally feeling bad.

So I was just wondering what some of you did to get over the keto blues.

Thanks!
    Erin

Keto is perfectly healthy done right. I highly suggest you drink sole water first thing every morning to balance your electrolytes. This avoids the keto flu, too! You can look sole water up on google.

It gets easier. Your body is transitioning and making big changes. It takes about 8 weeks or more to become fat adapted.

Focus on eating good fats (avocodo, olive oil, coconut oil, etc) Avoid processed cheeses. Eat lots of green veggies with grss fed butter. Check any sweetner for maltrodextrine and avoid it. Stevia powders have it, but not the liquid stevia.

Good luck!