Following for a few weeks and no results to speak of?? Thoughts??

Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It's not showing as open.

I don't judge food, FYI. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Jimmyc_ wrote: »
    I am new to following the plan, but have been working out cardio and weights for about 10 months and not really seeing the weight drop as I would like. I do have to say my body is looking better but extra weight is still there. I would like to lose 25 pounds and bulk up. Does it take a while for this plan to work? Other diets or programs usually show results in a few weeks I have been doing this for a few weeks and not really seeing any weight drop yet! What is your experience been like following this program? Appreciate the feed back. Thanks in advance!!

What does this mean...you haven't lost any weight at all? Or you were expecting to lose more? A lot of people have unrealistic expectations of how fast they will lose weight. With 25 Lbs to lose you really shouldn't expect to lose more than 1 Lb per week or less even. You're not going to be able to lose weight like an obese person.

• Jimmyc_
    Jimmyc_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok opened
  • quiksylver296
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I thought I had read you use a food scale to weigh everything? Your diary doesn't bear that out.

2kq5dfd51dsp.jpg

My scoops of protein powder are always more grams than they claim. Sometimes a significant amount. As for the half-cups of oatmeal and blueberries, check out the video in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

Use a food scale. Seriously.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697068/how-i-stopped-kidding-myself/p1
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    If you work your way through the instructions this link points to, you will be sure that your profile is set accurately and that you are entering your food (and exercise) logs correctly.

fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal

(Please note that this link has been approved for posting by MFP Staff)

At the top of the "Getting Started" message board you will see an entry called "Helpful Posts - (Must Reads)" It contains the link above and other useful links to information or lists to help you get going. The one called "So you are new here ... " is also very good for managing expectations, and finding a list of generic tools/strategies. Like "Buy a food scale! Seriously!"
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing any weight after several weeks you are not in a deficit. MFP's estimates of how much to eat are just that - estimates. Eating more will not help, but in fact do the opposite. Cut 250 calories, try again, if no change in a month, cut another 250.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I thought I had read you use a food scale to weigh everything? Your diary doesn't bear that out.

2kq5dfd51dsp.jpg

My scoops of protein powder are always more grams than they claim. Sometimes a significant amount. As for the half-cups of oatmeal and blueberries, check out the video in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

Use a food scale. Seriously.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697068/how-i-stopped-kidding-myself/p1

This. You are probably eating more than you think.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yes, weighing what you are actually consuming is very important. Without accurate data, the issue may be self-evident in that you're taking in calories than you may think.

Also, where are you getting the nutritional values from for what you're eating? From searching the database here? All entries are user-submitted and subject to inaccuracies as a result. Some a lot greater than others. ;)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Another vote for scale to confirm what you are actually eating. Once you get used to a scale it's almost faster and requires less dishes than measuring (put bowl on scale, tare to 0, add one fruit, tare to 0, add second fruit, tare zero, add protein powder, tare o, ...) TADA - no extra dishes dirtied.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    At first when you guys said you’re not weighing your food my first thought was yes I am but then after watching your video I realize no I’m really not weighing the food I’m doing an estimation with measuring cups

It really makes a significant difference and once you get the hang of it, you’ll find it’s faster and has less clean up
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    At first when you guys said you’re not weighing your food my first thought was yes I am but then after watching your video I realize no I’m really not weighing the food I’m doing an estimation with measuring cups

If you ever get a food scale, please come back and share any insights!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

It really makes a significant difference and once you get the hang of it, you’ll find it’s faster and has less clean up

Yep! Learn the TARE button. It saves tons of hassle.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd throw in another measurement problem. If you follow a recipe, either from a book or online, input the ingredients to the calculator yourself. Don't get lazy and just accept the nutrition given by the book or site. Most of the time for me, the calories end up higher than stated. Same with the other macros. See it as more an estimated guide.
    When choosing ingredients in the calculator, look through a couple of the same item to get a better reading of how many cals per gram/ml/oz are in the item. You can also google first.
    Some entries are very inaccurate, this is why I cross check. Of course frequent use of the same item makes it faster as you already know which option is good.
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Also, take your measurements and note how your clothes fit. If you are weight training, you are gaining muscle which makes the numbers on the scale static.