Can women lift weights without getting broad shoulders

Options
Heyyy, so I know this is can sound crazy but I’m speaking from experience only. So few years back when I was obese my coach asked me to do a lot of cardio and weight training in order to lose weight. Back then my shoulders wasn’t that brought and it looked feminine but the second I started using dumbbells to lose shoulders fat , my shoulders became super broad which is making me look ginormous now . Now my coach said you have to start lifting weight in order to speed up the weight loss process and *kitten* but I have major trust issues because of my past experience. What should I do now ughhh

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Go for it, they will look better as you develop more muscle tone.
    You can always change rack if you decide it's not for you. It would be a shame to not try something that could be helpful on the off chance it won't work.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The width of the shoulders is based on your skeletal structure, I, e, Bones. Your bone size doesn't change with dumbbells or anything else. I also feel bad that you think broad shoulders do not look feminine. That seems like a judgment against a lot of women.

Right?!? My shoulders are one of my favorite parts. Yay for heavy lifting!

Second that! Am working my socks off to actually get some muscle. It doesn't happen that easily.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When we lift weights, it's normal to have water weight gain, which is related to the muscle repair process. This is what people often see and confuse with gaining muscle quickly. Depending on where you hold fat, certain parts of your body might look/feel bigger in the short term. If you continue to eat in a deficit, however, they will shrink. Always keep the long term plan in mind. Don't get derailed by the short term.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Omg I did not mean to hurt anyone’s feeling , I just personally don’t like broad shoulders because it makes ME look less feminine. Most women can pull of broad shoulders and I’m not one of them . That’s because I’m still overweight and imagine overweight + broad shoulders + really tall . Not a good combo right ? Exactly 😭

No offense taken. :) Feminine and attractive are subjective.

I have found weight training to make me look smaller overall. The bits I have that are larger I specifically trained for. It was by no means accidental.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Omg I did not mean to hurt anyone’s feeling , I just personally don’t like broad shoulders because it makes ME look less feminine. Most women can pull of broad shoulders and I’m not one of them . That’s because I’m still overweight and imagine overweight + broad shoulders + really tall . Not a good combo right ? Exactly 😭

Your shoulders likely aren't as broad as you think they are. Give it time, lose some of the weight and then once you see what you look like without the additional weight you can assess your body's composition and work on changing/accentuating certain parts.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Your shoulders likely aren't as broad as you think they are. Give it time, lose some of the weight and then once you see what you look like without the additional weight you can assess your body's composition and work on changing/accentuating certain parts.

I really hope that’s the case
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

No offense taken. :) Feminine and attractive are subjective.

I have found weight training to make me look smaller overall. The bits I have that are larger I specifically trained for. It was by no means accidental.

That’s true , I’m sorry.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

I don't think you hut anyone's feelings. People are just saying that your perception may be off. You don't get broader shoulders by lifting weights. Period. You get more defined muscles which always looks nice, and certainly doesn't make you look masculine. As you lose weight, your shoulders actually get smaller because of fat loss.

And you don't lose shoulder fat by lifting weights, you lose it by eating at a calorie deficit.