Macro lovers?

Options
cogirl123
cogirl123 Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone out there that counts Macros? Looking for friends for those doing the same :)

Replies

• brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Well maybe you can help me understand it. I look at it everyday and just don’t know much about it. I’m a vegetarian so my protein is lower than they suggest percentage wise almost daily. Which is something I’m working on. Do you use the preset calculations? Enlighten me!
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,586 Member
    Options
    Me! Feel free to friend. Protein is the hardest for me to get enough and balance out!
  • cogirl123
    cogirl123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    tecat810 wrote: »
    Me! Feel free to friend. Protein is the hardest for me to get enough and balance out!

Protein used to be so hard for me, I'm finding it easier. I've found a lot of great Instagram pages with fun recipes. Now carbs are the hardest because I've lowered my fats I've bumped my carbs up. They keep me fuller longer!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I do 35% FAT/ 35 carbs/ 30 protein. I found thats the split that works best for me! 2400 calories a day
    I have a 500 calorie deficit daily.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I pay attention to my macros.

They don't really impact my weight loss, but they do have a profound impact on my ability to stick to my diet/deficit and how I feel (energy levels, workout performance, recovery, etc.)... so while they are a non-issue when it comes to the math of weight loss, they are quite relevant within the context of adherence, satiety, happiness, etc... all of which matter greatly in the context of long-term sustainability.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    While it's not a profound impact, macros (outside of adherence) do have a slight impact on fat loss. Higher protein diets have been shown to be more effective than other diets. It's why everyone's first question when arguing low fat vs low carb is if they held protein constant.

The only macro I care about is protein and do focus a bit on fiber. I keep it around 150-180g and fiber at 30g+ per day and try to focus on foods that keep me full.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
  • psychod787
    Options
    Guess I got woo'd by the keto zealots! Lol
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It is about preference. I admit I focus more on macros than calories, reason I am a type 2 diabetic. But, I also know that when I hit my numbers for Carbs, Protein and Fats. That in turn hits my magic calorie numbers as well, and therefore I have the needed 500 daily calorie deficit. Because Carb and Protein per each gram = 4 calories, and Fat per gram is 9 calories.

Once you get the percentages figured out, and the correct grams. It really becomes very easy to me. I find it easier than counting calories. But at same time, it means I am staying in the calorie deficit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    This is a frequently-cited thread (and I think a good one) about determining macro goals in grams:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

While free MFP won't let you set by grams, you can set your percents to something that comes close on grams (if you want something different from the defaults), because plus or minus a few grams isn't a big deal, typically.

The thread linked below is an excellent one, for identifying additional protein sources. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. Find some you enjoy, and and eat more of those, less of something else that isn't as helpful in meeting your goals. (The vegetarian and vegan sources are there: Scroll down past the mostly meaty/fishy stuff near the top of the spreadsheet, and you'll find them.)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

This is a good summary of research about protein needs for people with various characteristics, from a source generally respected as pretty unbiased:

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/

It has footnotes to relevant research, but is written in a more brief and novice-friendly manner vs. reading the studies directly.

Personally, I count calories, eat to a certain minimum number of protein and fat grams most of the time (preferring things like nuts/seeds/olive oil/avocado/etc. for the fats), and try to get at least 5+ daily servings of veg/fruits (preferably, and usually, 10+) for micronutrients and extra fiber. Within that, I just let carbs fall where they end up. (I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, if that matters. Personally, I don't think it does. ;) ).
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Macro counter here!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

You did not.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I count macros, and calories. I use a split that works well for my type and intensity of training, in order to help manipulate my body composition.
  • psychod787
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

You did not.

Not really worried about it... I tend to trust Dr. Norton on this..