Metabolic Confusion

Options
Does anyone try “metabolic confusion”? I think it’s basically having high carb days followed by low carb days (in which you have high fat like avocado, cheese, oil etc) and having a few small meals throughout the day, with all different amounts of calories?

Just wondering if anyone has tried it, and if what I’ve said above is on the right track.. I’ve had a look online and might give it a go! I’ve been trying the high/low carb days this week, will be interesting to see any changes in weight.

Replies

• lolasgettingmarried
    Options
    http://calorieshiftingguide.com/the-17-day-diets-metabolic-confusion-diet-how-it-really-works/

Think it’s also known as calorie cycling? I’m doing well with my good old calorie counting though so was only really keen to try the high/low carb days if it’s worked for anyone
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    How did our ancestors eat a million years ago? And mankind still survived. So "confusing".
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Just keen to change things up a bit because my weight loss has slowed up! And someone in work mentioned it, thought I’d ask around and see if it’s a thing or not.. doesn’t seem to be!

Weight loss will slow. That happens. Don't listen to work people for nutrition advice.
  • lolasgettingmarried
    Options
    She’s a dietician and fitness fanatic so I assumed it was a legit thing 😂 Will go back to basics.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Just wanted informed opinions like so.

I have zero knowledge when it comes to any of this so wanting to find out what’s true and what’s nonsense. I’ll keep to counting calories and exercise, it’s been working but as I say, has slowed.

congrats on your success so far.
    how much have you lost and at what rate (and how long) and what is current rate? how much more do you have to lose?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The benefits of carb cycling are largely around performance improvements for lifting. The high carbs and the increase in calories can allow for more lifting volume, since you have more fuel. Liftijg in a deficit sucks, so this might mitigate some of those issues. It can also aid in recovery.

But it won't effect metabolism.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The evolutionary history of humans includes going through long stretches of available foods varying and including amounts available. If anything, your metabolism has been under more pressure to be "intelligent" than your brain, so not sure who's going to confuse whom there.

As others have said there are common dietary plans that involve varying carbohydrate levels, though that usually has to do with athletic performance - timing carbs around times and days with demanding activity. Nutrition timing for actual weight loss, not so much.

I'd like to know, why looking for opinions over evidence? It seems the kind of questions being asked are ones that have or can have objective answers rather than subjective preference.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    If you're stalled in your weight loss then I would lower calories by 100. Really no need to do something as complicated as calorie cycling