5’4” - 5’5” females; what is your goal weight range?

Options
Hi friends! I started MFP in May 2018 and it truly helped me build some amazing habits. My view of food has completely changed, not to mention I’ve lost about 75 lbs (229 down to 154).

Now that I’ve slowed my weight loss rate to .5 lbs per week on MFP, I’m wondering what similar-built women consider their goal weight range. BMI calculators seem to put the healthy range at 110 to 150 lbs, and ideal weight calculators seem to put the target around 125.

125 seems too low! Maybe my view of my body is skewed, but I feel like at 154 I look “skinny” and I honestly wouldn’t mind looking like this for my adulthood. BMI calculators still put me at overweight, which for my frame honestly doesn’t seem realistic.

I’m hoping to continue to lose, little by little, and then maybe just naturally arrive at maintenance by keeping my calories the same. Maybe that will give me an idea of where I want my body weight to be. But I’m wondering what your personal ideal weight ranges are, just for reference!

Replies

• corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    BMI are based on grouping or according to population trends. I think they are better suited as a guide than something definite. People can look differently at the same weight even at the same height. I'm 5'5 and at what I consider my goal/maintenance weight of 165 (I'm 163 technically) and am considered "overweight." But I couldn't imagine being any or much smaller personally. I am trying to lower body fat which inevitably means that I'll lose more weight....but I am not purposely aiming for that.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’5” medium frame and usually maintain between 129-132 (trying to loose a few extra lbs from the holidays but that’s another story). I once got down to 127 but I felt unusually hungry and felt I was looking a little skeletal in the chest area. So you’re not alone in thinking 125 is low. That used to be my goa but I don’t think I really want to get there anymore. At this size a few pounds can really make a difference.
  • kellycz
    kellycz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’5”, female, age 48, aiming for a final range in the low 130s. (I actually set my initial goal at 129 just to see if I could get there since I haven’t seen that number since college, but I look and feel my best around 132). So I think I’ll set my range for 130-134. Currently at 141.
  • tammylgroves
    tammylgroves Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m starting over again since Christmas gain. My goal is 135 my current weight is 209.
    But I’m going to see how I feel and what I look like as I go. My overall goal is to have a BMI
    Under 30 so I can get breast reduction surgery. Once I can achieve that I will see where things are.
    I’m always looking for friends and support on here so I welcome friends requests.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and 5'5". I started at 251 and ended up at 145 - 150. My original goal was 135 but my weight loss ground to a halt in the 140's. I hadn't been 135 since I was 16 so decided although I am at the high end of normal I would settle where I am. You'll know when you get there.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I'm ~5'5" or a smidgen shorter, and currently sitting right around 150. Pretty low BF% but wanting to do a solid cut, not really sure on end goal bodyweight as it will be a moving target as the cut progresses. I'm thinking roughly 135 though while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your weight loss! That's great! :smile:

My story very closely relates to @kimny72. I'm 5'4 and currently 126-127. My starting weight was 148 pounds. Getting to 127-128 was the original "goal weight" range I wanted to hit, and I did.

It took me roughly.....7 months to get there, losing about 3lbs/months. That being said, I'm aiming for another 5ish lbs to put me in the lower 120s.

I'm perfectly happy at my current weight, so I don't have a time table for losing the few extra pounds. Whenever I lose it, is fine.

As others have said, you'll know when you are content with your weight. At the end of the day, It's not always the number on the scale that ultimately matters, but at whatever healthy weight we feel confident in our own skin. (I hope that makes sense...) :smile:

Edited for formatting.
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    You see I’m 5 ft 5 and ten stone two pounds but look chubby yet my bmi is 23.... so I guess it’s not just in the weight!
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm 5'4" 130+/-2lbs although mostly on the + side since the holiday season hehe. I'd love to get down to under 125lbs some day but that's just a number. I'm currently recomping with the goal of lowering my BF% from ~23% down to ~20%, scale weight be damned! I've been recomping for a while now and have managed to drop a bit of BF, maybe 1% from 24% to my current 23%, while coming up a few pounds from my all time low of 126+/-2lbs.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I really commend those of you doing bulking and cutting cycles. That’s a lot of planning and dedication!
  • Kyralene
    Kyralene Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and lowest I ever got was 130 and I felt like I still had a belly. I would aim for 120.
  • rose_drops
    rose_drops Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My goal is 144. If I was skinnier, I would look very odd.
  • TexasChic1998
    TexasChic1998 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m 5 4. 20 years old and my goal is 150.
  • Mangallegos
    Mangallegos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 5’4”, 45 yrs old, currently 157, almost my heaviest. I feel my best at 135, but haven’t been there for years. I think 125 is too skinny for me. As you get older your face looks older if you get too thin. At this point I will be happy to get into my 140’s. I seem to be having trouble staying motivated. 😜
  • ItsAJourny
    ItsAJourny Posts: 69 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I am 5'5", 60 years old and I also don't know what my goal weight is. I thought it was 128, which I really just picked somewhat randomly, but now I don't know. I started at 169 pounds in early August and I am now 132. I lost the weight by just changing to much healthier foods, listening to my body, and more exercise (no diet or weighing of foods). I feel great and I am going to let my body decide (to a point) what my goal weight is. I am going to keep eating healthily and see where my weight plateaus. If it drops too low, I will work on that but since I have never been too skinny, I don't expect that to happen. The weight is just a number and I think we all have to be comfortable with how we feel and if we can maintain our goal weight. I agree with Kimny who said our goal weights can change over time. I think that's very realistic as our lifestyle changes. Certainly when my kids were young, I could not maintain a weight in the low 130's. It was too much effort along with work and family demands but now as an empty nester it is much easier to take better care of myself and prepare foods that I like and are good for me. Society places so much emphasis on how we look that I applaud each of you for choosing a goal weight that you feel comfortable with and can maintain.