Afternoon's Are the Hardest

Options
I find myself doing just fine for breakfast and lunch. After I get home from work, that's where the struggle takes place. I have poor self control and need help learning how to resist urges. I'm an emotional eater. I have drinks when I'm upset or stressed. My mental health plays a big factor on how my diet is each day. I'm working on doing better, but it's hard. Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• lm1253
    lm1253 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tend to stress eat in the afternoons too and always want to snack on sweet stuff. I try to bring my own healthy (but still tasty) snacks so I force myself to eat those first. I also started really asking myself - “ why do you want chocolate right now? Are you actually hungry? Or just stressed and emotional?” Seems strange but forcing yourself to rationize it can help. And if I am actually hungry I go eat something healthy and filling. Also gum is a good distraction when I’m stressed :) or a hot tea
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I came in the house and sat in the chair nearest the door for a few minutes. It stopped me from charging into the kitchen to start eating the first thing I could grab. Also it helps to have program friendly appealing snacks planned for when you get home. It’s hard to fight something with nothing.

And the snacks have to be something you can at least talk yourself into looking forward to. That can take some work, but “I can’t wait to get home to those carrot sticks” just wasn’t going to cut it for me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand the part about emotional/stress eating. So I get it. It's a struggle for many of us, myself included.

But - I am curious about your breakfast and lunch. Is it possible at all that you may be undereating, causing even more cravings for later in the afternoon?

I get that this probably is not the culprit, but thought it may be worth mentioning. Years ago when I was trying to diet strictly, I would bring a healthy yet too-light lunch, maybe cucumbers, carrots, hummus for dipping and a few crackers...so by the end of the work day, I'd feel "hangry" and really want to stop at fast food places or Starbucks even just driving a few miles to get home...I would feel like I seriously needed to snack long before dinner.

Even now, I notice if my lunch is under 400 calories I start to get really hungry and thinking about food long before 5 pm when I leave work. If I eat at least 400 calories for lunch and try to ensure plenty of protein, fat, etc, in those cals, I don't have that problem. It's weird.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a good walk will help you destress enough so you don't feel like you need to empty the refrigerator in your mouth. When you get home, take 20 minutes and walk around the block to enjoy the day. If you have a hungry family waiting for supper as soon as you get in the door, you might need to take advantage of a crockpot so you can take that break. Then, in the evening, find incompatible hobbies to do so you are not tempted to make that every commercial break trip to the fridge.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I find myself doing just fine for breakfast and lunch. After I get home from work, that's where the struggle takes place. I have poor self control and need help learning how to resist urges. I'm an emotional eater. I have drinks when I'm upset or stressed. My mental health plays a big factor on how my diet is each day. I'm working on doing better, but it's hard. Anyone have any advice?

I go to the gym during my snacky time.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I chew gum. That way, I've got something sweet (but sugar free) in my mouth and the minty flavour is strong enough that I'm no tempted to eat anything else.
  • Sanriohippie
    Sanriohippie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I make sure my breakfast and lunch are hardy meals with LOTS of green veggies.
    I found that when I made that change I wasn’t as hungry.
    I also keep busy and drink tea or coffee. IF I still feel the need for a snack I have one. Although I preplan even my meals for all days even snacks. I make sure they are healthier than old habitual snacks.
    If I want to indulge I do,but I make sure my day has been that of low sodium and sugar for that day.
    Beat of luck to you!!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

It's easier to have self-control for the 30 minutes in the grocery store than hours at home...if you're in charge of the shopping, avoid buying the high-calorie cravy/triggery snack foods so you don't have them on hand during cravings.

Identify whether it's a boredom/TV-snacking habit (which is pretty common).

Make yourself start first with something low calorie and filling (and takes a while to eat) before reaching for cravy stuff.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a good walk will help you destress enough so you don't feel like you need to empty the refrigerator in your mouth. When you get home, take 20 minutes and walk around the block to enjoy the day.

This works for me too.