Can’t get excercising-depressed

Options
Hi, I’m 52 and tired all the time. I’m healthy 5ft 8, 11 stone. I have arthritis in my neck and pains in joints. I don’t do any exercise and I can’t get the dialogue going in my head to get me going and start swimming/walking for example. I know if I started, I’d feel better but I’m too tired and sore to start and that’s making me depressed. If I start I’ll be sore initially and then won’t want to do it again. It’s a vicious circle. I know it sounds pathetic but I just can’t get started. I need some ideas to get the dialogue going in my head ‘you’ll feel better after you do this’ etc etc.

I’d really appreciate any encouragement, help, support. I feel lazy and down about it. I’m too wrecked to exercise. It’s bringing me down. I’m very lazy and I know that but my joints hurt and it doesn’t encourage me to start exercising.

Does anyone else feel the same way or could help me get going or help me with a dialogue that I could say in my head to get me and keep me going?

Thank so much

Xxx

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you just said: today I'm gonna take a walk or a swim e.g...you would feel a million times better than you do today - but you need to make a start. You won't regret it, in fact you'll look back and say, why didn't I start sooner.

All the best.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Stop promising yourself that you'll do it then feel better, because obviously that isn't working.
    Take control of yourself and do it.

Thanks, great to get such positive input 👍it helps a lot!
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    Tell yourself you only have to do 5 minutes, and then you can quit if you're not feeling it. Generally, getting started is the hardest part. Or even less - tell yourself you're just going to put on the shoes, or the swimsuit. Once you've done the hardest part, by just getting started, you might find that you get a good workout in despite yourself.

Thank you. Yes you’re right, getting started is the hardest part. Talking about it helps a lot and buoys me up to take that first step.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    achagpar wrote: »
    Just do 5 min. Even if just walking in place in the house.... soon you’ll feel better and will increase your time and intensity. We all start somewhere! Good luck!

Thank you, walking around the house is a good idea!
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    If you just said: today I'm gonna take a walk or a swim e.g...you would feel a million times better than you do today - but you need to make a start. You won't regret it, in fact you'll look back and say, why didn't I start sooner.

All the best.

Thank you. It’s late in the evening now but I’ll re read these messages again in the morning and make a start then and I’ll let you know how I get on x
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    google the "five minute rule" and study that. basically.. if you wait to "feel" like doing something out of our comfort zone.. you never will do it. and that's what you're doing.. thinking...talking.. and.. .and not doing.

I didn't "feel" like eating two egg whites and cut green peppers just now.. but I just did..because it is part of my eating plan and I do it to be successful to keep fit. It frankly would have been easier to eat nothing.. but I do what I should do, not what a feel like doing or what is easy.

so, get moving.. even walking to your mail box and around the yard. Pick up a few things out of the yard... just move ..and tomorrow move a little more. Build on that...and don't wait to feel like it ..before you know it.. you'll be on your way
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Maybe try playing your favorite song and walk or dance 10 minutes before each meal. The meal is your reward. It really does get easier the more you do it!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    do what you can and what you feel up to. even if its walking to the end of the driveway and back.

and as much as i do love working out (didnt start that way though!), let me tell you, leaving my house is DEFINITELY the hardest part...even now ;)
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I suffer from depression as well and it makes exercising so much harder. It makes me feel terrible because I feel like I'm lazy even though I know that's not the real issue. I am younger, but due to my weight, I do suffer from joint pain and arthritis in my knees. I've found that low-impact exercises are the best because they don't make me sore and miserable.

My best advice is to find someone to walk/exercise with you. I'm always more accountable when I know someone else is expecting me to do something with them. I find it hard to do things for myself, but its a little easier to do it for someone else. This could be something as simple as finding a friend to walk with, taking kids/grandkids to the park or even joining a fitness group in your area.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m 52 and tired all the time. I’m healthy 5ft 8, 11 stone. I have arthritis in my neck and pains in joints. I don’t do any exercise and I can’t get the dialogue going in my head to get me going and start swimming/walking for example. I know if I started, I’d feel better but I’m too tired and sore to start and that’s making me depressed. If I start I’ll be sore initially and then won’t want to do it again. It’s a vicious circle. I know it sounds pathetic but I just can’t get started. I need some ideas to get the dialogue going in my head ‘you’ll feel better after you do this’ etc etc.

I’d really appreciate any encouragement, help, support. I feel lazy and down about it. I’m too wrecked to exercise. It’s bringing me down. I’m very lazy and I know that but my joints hurt and it doesn’t encourage me to start exercising.

Does anyone else feel the same way or could help me get going or help me with a dialogue that I could say in my head to get me and keep me going?

Thank so much

Xxx

Are you taking an antidepressant? I take Wellbutrin, which is very mildly stimulating, and I find this helpful.

Do you know about foam rolling? I find this very helpful to prevent or relieve soreness, and the 10 minute routine I do is a great warmup for other activities. I did it before I shoveled Sunday. Shoveling normally hurts my lower back, but I was fine afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2sQK3rzG0&index=10&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr&t=0s

I started with a $15 Gold's Gym roller from Walmart, which ended up collapsing, and now have this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040EGNIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Gold's one is kind of a good starter roller though, as it isn't as hard, and that sensation is a little odd at first, but if you like deep tissue massage or rolfing, it will be easier to get used to.