Can’t get excercising-depressed

Options

Replies

• Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That is awesome Happyirisheyes! Give yourself a gold star, pat yourself on the back & enjoy the success. I also have arthritis in my knees, back and hands and used the excuse to not move very much but recently I started moving more and actually started working out. I can only do a small amount but determined to stick to it and build it up gradually. Keep positive thoughts & do not let any setbacks bring you down.This is a process, a journey towards better health. We can do it one step at a time. Hugs
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I went for a ten minute walk today in the freezing cold. Nearly killed me to go out and do it! My knees are a bit sore but I did it! It’s not much but it’s a start! ☺️

I struggle with depression and although I love to exercise, often have to force myself to start, like I did yesterday. It is also freezing cold here.

I am so proud of you for getting out there yesterday! It was tough on me, and I love the cold and lunchtime exercise has been a routine for years.

28k3of4.jpg

Thank you so much! Your message made me smile and feel like I am not alone in my struggle.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m 52 and tired all the time. I’m healthy 5ft 8, 11 stone. I have arthritis in my neck and pains in joints. I don’t do any exercise and I can’t get the dialogue going in my head to get me going and start swimming/walking for example. I know if I started, I’d feel better but I’m too tired and sore to start and that’s making me depressed. If I start I’ll be sore initially and then won’t want to do it again. It’s a vicious circle. I know it sounds pathetic but I just can’t get started. I need some ideas to get the dialogue going in my head ‘you’ll feel better after you do this’ etc etc.

I’d really appreciate any encouragement, help, support. I feel lazy and down about it. I’m too wrecked to exercise. It’s bringing me down. I’m very lazy and I know that but my joints hurt and it doesn’t encourage me to start exercising.

Does anyone else feel the same way or could help me get going or help me with a dialogue that I could say in my head to get me and keep me going?

Thank so much

Xxx

Are you taking an antidepressant? I take Wellbutrin, which is very mildly stimulating, and I find this helpful.

Do you know about foam rolling? I find this very helpful to prevent or relieve soreness, and the 10 minute routine I do is a great warmup for other activities. I did it before I shoveled Sunday. Shoveling normally hurts my lower back, but I was fine afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2sQK3rzG0&index=10&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr&t=0s

I started with a $15 Gold's Gym roller from Walmart, which ended up collapsing, and now have this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040EGNIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Gold's one is kind of a good starter roller though, as it isn't as hard, and that sensation is a little odd at first, but if you like deep tissue massage or rolfing, it will be easier to get used to.

I didn’t know about this kind of roller. It’s always great to get a recommendation. I take Sertraline.
  • OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I struggle with moving enough. I'm finding using some free weights for exercise at home can be easier than going out for a walk. Ideal is both and all, but any movement is better than none. There's youtube videos to help, don't go too heavy or too many reps at first. Building muscle can help with burning calories too.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - reading your first post reminded me a lot of me when I don't get enough, or a decent quality sleep. I'm 59 and the older I get the more it seems to affect me. My sleep cycle and quality can be pretty poor some days, 3-5 hours at most and after a couple of weeks of that it gets really difficult to recover and my mood and attitude take a nose dive.

What has helped me is staying off TV and the internet before bed, and finding exercises I enjoy, even very non standard exercise like trying to keep up with our dog once I get him playing :)

Hoping for the best for you - that's a rough state of mind to break free from at times.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m 52 and tired all the time. I’m healthy 5ft 8, 11 stone. I have arthritis in my neck and pains in joints. I don’t do any exercise and I can’t get the dialogue going in my head to get me going and start swimming/walking for example. I know if I started, I’d feel better but I’m too tired and sore to start and that’s making me depressed. If I start I’ll be sore initially and then won’t want to do it again. It’s a vicious circle. I know it sounds pathetic but I just can’t get started. I need some ideas to get the dialogue going in my head ‘you’ll feel better after you do this’ etc etc.

I’d really appreciate any encouragement, help, support. I feel lazy and down about it. I’m too wrecked to exercise. It’s bringing me down. I’m very lazy and I know that but my joints hurt and it doesn’t encourage me to start exercising.

Does anyone else feel the same way or could help me get going or help me with a dialogue that I could say in my head to get me and keep me going?

Thank so much

Xxx

Are you tired because you're not sleeping well because you're not exercising enough, or is there an underlying cause like anemia or other deficiency like Vitamin D going on that needs to be addressed? When my anemia is untreated I have crippling fatigue and hate my life.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I went for a ten minute walk today in the freezing cold. Nearly killed me to go out and do it! My knees are a bit sore but I did it! It’s not much but it’s a start! ☺️

Congratulations on walking today!

I've had back surgeries and often don't feel up to exercising. I don't want to break my streak and not work out now that I've done so for over three weeks. Listening to music that makes you happy can help with walking as well. I put on my headphones and listen to a fast song or two and I usually get up and walk over to my exercise bike. Whatever works best for you!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I suppose the other thing is that if I didn't exercise when I was depressed, I just wouldn't exercise. I'm not at all being flippant. A fair amount of the important choices I make require a lot of mental brute force - school is the biggest one of those, but exercise is as well. I have to tell myself that I'm going to do XYZ even though it feels like I don't want to. There is a bit of a balance that I have to strike at times because emotionally sometimes the best answer is to stay home (physically that balance is very easy for me to figure out), but I can't just say "well I'm depressed so I'm not going to do X" because I'm almost always depressed.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Music helps. Cute exercise clothes helps too. So does a fitness friend.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    Mardill wrote: »
    That is awesome Happyirisheyes! Give yourself a gold star, pat yourself on the back & enjoy the success. I also have arthritis in my knees, back and hands and used the excuse to not move very much but recently I started moving more and actually started working out. I can only do a small amount but determined to stick to it and build it up gradually. Keep positive thoughts & do not let any setbacks bring you down.This is a process, a journey towards better health. We can do it one step at a time. Hugs

Thank you so much for your positive post. You’re right, it is a journey and I guess my ten minute walk means I have started. I just need to do it again tomorrow. One step (walk) at a time. Thank you, I hope I can help you too sometime if you need it. I’ll keep you posted on my progress x
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    I started really slow walking in a mall. I would do one circut without stopping to shop. Then I added more over time. I live in Canada so it can be really cold in winter but to be honest my favorite walk is outside in nature. We have a park close to home where I walk on my days off whenever possible. I stay in when it's too cold and eventually bought a treadmill but I still prefer to walk in the park when I can. When I first started my walk was maybe 15 minutes. I very slowly added to that over time and now I look forward to walking.

Having said all that I use walking because when I set out to lose the weight I wanted some kind of exercise but so many times I had started but quit because I hated it. Finally I decided to find some form of exercise that I actually enjoyed. I remember a sunny day that I had to walk home from the bus stop and how much I had enjoyed the walk. If walking isn't your thing find something you do enjoy. Maybe dancing, swimming, badmitton or golf. Whatever it might be. If you enjoy it you will continue.

Thank you. It’s so good and extremely helpful to hear other people’s stories. It makes me realize that other people struggle too and start and stop and give up and start again. I guess that’s all we can do, start again the next day and just keep trying. Thank you
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    Music helps. Cute exercise clothes helps too. So does a fitness friend.

That’s a great idea, I never thought of nice exercise clothes! Thanks 💕
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options

Thank you. I think you’re right. One step at a time. Your post is very encouraging x
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Just a thought - reading your first post reminded me a lot of me when I don't get enough, or a decent quality sleep. I'm 59 and the older I get the more it seems to affect me. My sleep cycle and quality can be pretty poor some days, 3-5 hours at most and after a couple of weeks of that it gets really difficult to recover and my mood and attitude take a nose dive.

What has helped me is staying off TV and the internet before bed, and finding exercises I enjoy, even very non standard exercise like trying to keep up with our dog once I get him playing :)

Hoping for the best for you - that's a rough state of mind to break free from at times.

Yes I sometimes don’t sleep well as I have arthritis in my neck. I did a short walk today and I’ll try again tomorrow. Maybe each day I should say ‘ I’ll do a little walk today’ and then it won’t feel like a big burden psychologically and then I can add a minute or two each week as I get stronger.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I suppose the other thing is that if I didn't exercise when I was depressed, I just wouldn't exercise. I'm not at all being flippant. A fair amount of the important choices I make require a lot of mental brute force - school is the biggest one of those, but exercise is as well. I have to tell myself that I'm going to do XYZ even though it feels like I don't want to. There is a bit of a balance that I have to strike at times because emotionally sometimes the best answer is to stay home (physically that balance is very easy for me to figure out), but I can't just say "well I'm depressed so I'm not going to do X" because I'm almost always depressed.

You’ve really hit the nail on the head there. I guess when I’m down I just need to say ‘put your coat on and walk to the end of the road (or whatever the goal is) and then when you get back you can have a nice cup of tea and a warm bath’ or something like that.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

Congratulations on walking today!

I've had back surgeries and often don't feel up to exercising. I don't want to break my streak and not work out now that I've done so for over three weeks. Listening to music that makes you happy can help with walking as well. I put on my headphones and listen to a fast song or two and I usually get up and walk over to my exercise bike. Whatever works best for you!

That’s brilliant! Well done! Have you gone out every day for three weeks? How long do you go out for? Nice one!
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    OneRatGirl wrote: »
    I struggle with moving enough. I'm finding using some free weights for exercise at home can be easier than going out for a walk. Ideal is both and all, but any movement is better than none. There's youtube videos to help, don't go too heavy or too many reps at first. Building muscle can help with burning calories too.

Great idea, I must see what’s online. Thank you