Over 40 thyroidism

Options
Dieting and working out 5 days/week, struggling to lose 2lbs/week. Any suggestions on what works best with thyroid disease?

Replies

• RKIANA2018
    RKIANA2018 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm a fellow traveler with over 40 years of hypothyroidism and only 11 of those years treated properly for it and only 1-1/2 years being stable.

I am losing weight now, finally. It took getting stabilized on thyroid medication for a full year before I noticed weight loss.

I've read extensively on hypothyroidism on professional sites to fully understand what I needed to do to lose weight.

Here's some things I found work for me:

1. Be at the optimum range for thyroid functioning for one full year at least. This is considered stabilization of thyroid functioning.
    2. A TSH fluctuating between 0.75 to 1.25 has been my optimum range. Some people can go lower, near 0.50 and higher up to 2.0. I found that closer to 1.0 works best for me.
    3. A moderate exercise program with emphasis on strength training and limiting exercise time to 20 - 30 minutes once a day. Two days cardio and three days strength training works best. I aim for the lesser amount of minutes rather than the upper range.
    4. Taking specific vitamins: multivitamin, B-Complex, B-12, and magnesium are the most important ones I take.

The most important lesson I've learned is to not overdo exercise. Trying to get in long, vigorous sessions actually backfires on me and I gain weight. The thyroid doesn't like excesses in exercise especially anything vigorous, strenuous, and long. I've read many blogs by those with thyroid disease and they say the same message again and again: Intense exercise causes the opposite results.

My aim for weight loss is 1.5 week. If I lose more then great.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just like every other weight management program - a caloric deficit. Don't overthink this and do not buy into the internet predators looking to capitalize on people wanting to lose weight.

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000 due to thyroid cancer. I bought into much of the bad information out there and ended up putting on ~70 lbs over the next 14 years. None of this was due to my thyroid, but everything to do with my transitioning from a high active military career to a cushy life in academia. I started MFP in 2014 and lost 60 lbs the first year gradually decreasing my intake and increasing my activity.

I'll second the exercise advise posted by @RKIANA2018 and implement gradual changes to your diet and exercise routine. Drastic changes result in failure - it is just a matter of time. Small changes on the other hand have dramatic impact over time. Be patient.

A key behavior I implemented was hydration - I take 175/200 mcg Synthroid first thing in the morning and drink 16 oz water. I drink 16 oz of water 30 mins prior to meal times as well.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Ae you on Synthroid?
  • kare77
    kare77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’m have hypothyroid and on synthroid. I’m having troubles loosing. It’s frustrating. I feel your struggles
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    RKIANA2018 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm a fellow traveler with over 40 years of hypothyroidism and only 11 of those years treated properly for it and only 1-1/2 years being stable.

I am losing weight now, finally. It took getting stabilized on thyroid medication for a full year before I noticed weight loss.

I've read extensively on hypothyroidism on professional sites to fully understand what I needed to do to lose weight.

1. Be at the optimum range for thyroid functioning for one full year at least. This is considered stabilization of thyroid functioning.
    2. A TSH fluctuating between 0.75 to 1.25 has been my optimum range. Some people can go lower, near 0.50 and higher up to 2.0. I found that closer to 1.0 works best for me.
    3. A moderate exercise program with emphasis on strength training and limiting exercise time to 20 - 30 minutes once a day. Two days cardio and three days strength training works best. I aim for the lesser amount of minutes rather than the upper range.
    4. Taking specific vitamins: multivitamin, B-Complex, B-12, and magnesium are the most important ones I take.

The most important lesson I've learned is to not overdo exercise. Trying to get in long, vigorous sessions actually backfires on me and I gain weight. The thyroid doesn't like excesses in exercise especially anything vigorous, strenuous, and long. I've read many blogs by those with thyroid disease and they say the same message again and again: Intense exercise causes the opposite results.

To the bolded above:

Hey there! I know you mean well, but let's debunk this a bit. Everyone has different personal experiences to share. I can tell you what you wrote above, is incorrect. At least for me. I've had hypo a long time, and I'm currently training to run a marathon. Hypo has zero effect on long workout sessions.

Do long, intense workouts that burn a lot of calories cause an increase in hunger? Absolutely. Which leads people to potentially over-eat, thus wiping out their deficit. But to say that the thyroid "doesn't like anything in excess" is not correct.

• JaniceVACPA
    JaniceVACPA Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was always told if your thyroid is under control, it shouldn't impact your weight loss or gain. Been hypo for about twenty years now and been on Synthroid and Armour and currently on Levo.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    MButtiker wrote: »
    Dieting and working out 5 days/week, struggling to lose 2lbs/week. Any suggestions on what works best with thyroid disease?

Are you sure your weight-loss goal isn't too aggressive fort he total amount you want to lose? What is your current height and weight and what's your goal weight?
  • RKIANA2018
    RKIANA2018 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

To the bolded above:

Hey there! I know you mean well, but let's debunk this a bit. Everyone has different personal experiences to share. I can tell you what you wrote above, is incorrect. At least for me. I've had hypo a long time, and I'm currently training to run a marathon. Hypo has zero effect on long workout sessions.

Do long, intense workouts that burn a lot of calories cause an increase in hunger? Absolutely. Which leads people to potentially over-eat, thus wiping out their deficit. But to say that the thyroid "doesn't like anything in excess" is not correct.

You've debunked it for yourself.

For me and many others excessive exercise backfires. I was writing about myself after all. Enough said.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hi,

To the bolded above:

This is more a matter of perception. You didn't go from sitting on a couch to running marathons. This is the common mistake most people make - going from minimal activity to over-doing it in the gym.

Hypothyroidism has a tremendous impact on long steady state cardio, so much so that several elite level athletes are being treated for hypothyroidism. Not that this makes this insurmountable, but one should prepare and understand how thyroid disorders actually impact the body.

Your thyroid gland operates in a similar manner to your thermostat and if you have a diagnosed disorder it isn't going to react optimally to drastic changes. You can train your body to overcome this, but this takes time.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

You've debunked it for yourself.

For me and many others excessive exercise backfires. I was writing about myself after all. Enough said.

Fair enough. Then, I apologize for my lack of understanding and stand corrected.
    CSARdiver wrote: »

This is more a matter of perception. You didn't go from sitting on a couch to running marathons. This is the common mistake most people make - going from minimal activity to over-doing it in the gym.

Hypothyroidism has a tremendous impact on long steady state cardio, so much so that several elite level athletes are being treated for hypothyroidism. Not that this makes this insurmountable, but one should prepare and understand how thyroid disorders actually impact the body.

Your thyroid gland operates in a similar manner to your thermostat and if you have a diagnosed disorder it isn't going to react optimally to drastic changes. You can train your body to overcome this, but this takes time.

I see what you are saying, and perhaps I should have worded my statement to reflect that I meant that the issue of not being able to carry a long state of cardio was possible, but acknowledging the fact that it is not easy for all given their various diagnoses.

I apologize for the inaccurate statements.