Protein Needs for Vegetarians

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations for increasing protein intake as a vegetarian? I currently average around 60 grams per day, but MFP is recommending that I eat about 80. As a result, my macros chart usually ends up being around 15 protein, 35 fat, 50 carbs. So ideally, I think I would increase my protein and decrease fat intake.

On the other hand, does anyone not follow the MFP recommendations for macros, and if not, what allocation do you aim for?

Replies

• osucz
    osucz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I should note, I currently weigh around 200 pounds, so the ".36 grams per pound" would put me at about 72 grams per day.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Are you eating dairy and eggs? If so eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, whey protein powder and or...

If not tofu, pea protein powder, beans, satein, tempeh, lentils and google a list of vegetables that contain protein like potato, avocado etc.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian with an open diary. 80 is my base protein too, though with exercise it increases. Here's today so far:

gaew5bawvo60.png

PS: Gardein makes a number of products that are higher in protein than those burgers. And if you can get Yves in your part of the world, they're generally even better. (A 45-calorie veggie dog has 8g protein; the Gardein 140-calorie burger has 6!)

Let me know if you see any recipes in there that you like!

Note: Even though my diary is set to "open" some people have told me that they can't see it. If so, send me a friend request. I don't hit target every day, but I do try.

Other note: I eat back around 50% of my exercise calories. Since MFP breaks those calories across the macros (for every 17 calories, it gives another gram of carb, protein, and fat), I don't often hit the exercise-adjusted totals, but I do usually get more than 80.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't pay attention to macros, though I know I do best on a higher carb woe. I'm a newer pescetarian and besides eating fish 3 times a week, my protein sources are low fat Greek yogurt (a serving is 14g-15g depending on brand), along with low fat cheese and cottage cheese, 1-2 servings a day of beans, several servings a day of grains (whole grains for the most part, though I am partial to white rice, which has 4g of protein in a cup of cooked), veggies/fruit/potatoes, an egg once in a while and then small amounts of nuts and seeds.
  • berube0604
    berube0604 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My diary is also open so feel free to look at what I do. I have eggs every day, and a plant based protein shake. I’ve also been making black bean burgers to have in my salad every day. I usually get 70-80g of protein. You only really need about 50-60g, unless you’re trying to bulk up then you need more.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I'm ovo-lacto veg (for almost 45 years) 5'5", weight mid 130s, maintaining, quite active (rowing and spin, mostly). I calculate my daily macro targets in terms of grams per pound of healthy goal weight: 0.6-0.8g protein per pound, 0.35-0.45g fats per pound, and let carbs fall where they may to hit calorie goal. (I also target a minimum of 5 daily servings of veg/fruit for micros and extra fiber, ideally 10+). I then set my macro percents to hit close to those numbers at my base (net) calorie goal. I eat to the gram goals, though, and don't worry if the percents are a little off.

These days (maintenance), I simplify and aim for a minimum 100g protein and 50g fats daily. (NOTE: My protein goal is intentionally more than the US/WHO RDAs - around double. Sometimes people think I've used pounds where I should've used kg. Not true. I want more protein than the RDA.)

I don't normally eat fake meat, protein powder, or protein bars (nothing against them in theory, I just don't find them tasty/filling personally). I eat very few eggs (again, just taste/preference).

I have three suggestions, mostly process oriented rather than specific foods:

1. Review your food log. Find foods with relatively many calories that bring you relatively few protein grams. Reduce or eliminate those foods, substituting others you enjoy that have a better protein-to-calorie ratio.

2. Try to get at least a few grams of protein in nearly every food you eat. This is in addition to the "one big protein per meal" idea that omnivores use. Prefer snacks with protein, veggies with protein, grains with protein, even fruits with protein (they exist). Those 2 grams here and 4 grams there add up, through the day. Because plant-based proteins tend to be incomplete (in amino acid profile), vary them across the day and week to get a more complete mix.

Just as an example: For another thread, I tallied one routine day in which I logged 28 distinct foods, if I counted correctly. Only 6 had zero protein (coffee, cinnamon, blackstrap molasses, mustard, sauerkraut and olive oil). Only 2 of those had >10 calories: Olive oil at 27 calories, and molasses at 67. Only 4 food servings had >10g protein: Greek yogurt, smoked tofu, black beans, cheese. At that point, I was at 99g protein, with several hundred calories left to get that last gram. Those small amounts add up!

3. Take a look at the thread linked below. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. You'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy stuff near the top of the list, but the plant sources are there, further down. Find some foods you enjoy, and eat more of them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Best wishes!