New and need advice

Options
Hi

So im new to this, 17 stone and 5’10. I want to lose 4 stone and MFP has given me 1,600 a day to eat. However im such a junk food addict im struggling, any tips? And when am I likely to reach my goal?

Also can you ear all your excersize calories back?

Thanks

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I dont do exercise calories myself, just log and try to eat healthy most of the time and you will do fine. Get some friends on here to support you.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed so you are meant to eat back your exercise calories.

As for junk food addict tips, don't restrict yourself completely, just try and make it work within your calorie allowance. For example, I can fit McDonald's into my day just not every day.

Most people here don't restrict anything, (unless following keto, or low carb etc) they just try and work their treats into the day.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's different (physically and mentally) so you've got to try different advice and find what ultimately works for you.
    For me it was (is) all or nothing, at least until you get to a point where you're metabolism is really burning and you're at a point it's safe to add some serious exercise. One thing I found with dropping sugar cold turkey was that other food started tasting better! Like unsalted/unseasoned almonds taste amazing to me now but I'd never touch them before.

Eating back exercise calories is one of the most highly debated topics on the forum. I think the issue probably comes down to inaccuracy with just how many calories are being burned. My weight loss was all about diet, exercise wise I just walked, and I never ate back my calories (but probably didn't burn much with the walking). If/When you get into lifting or high intensity workouts then it becomes more challenging as those activities DEMAND a certain amount of fuel.

I say, don't buy the junk, don't accept the junk. At the restaurant I had lunch at today they had all kinds of home made cookies at the counter, only a dollar each! So tempting! Nah, didn't go for it. Then the owner came around with a tray of FREE cookies, one for each of us. I said "No". Back in the day I could eat half a pizza and a box of Oreos and not think twice so believe me I know the feeling! You can say "No" too though, you really can!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Hi

So im new to this, 17 stone and 5’10. I want to lose 4 stone and MFP has given me 1,600 a day to eat. However im such a junk food addict im struggling, any tips? And when am I likely to reach my goal?

Also can you ear all your excersize calories back?

Thanks

Everyone is different, but reading your post, I'm thinking about two things that are sometimes in conflict with each other.

First, it's true that you can eat anything you want (including "junk" food**), and if you stay within an appropriate calorie goal, you'll lose weight. (I'm not sure what you mean by "junk" food, BTW - different people use it with different meanings.)

Second, some kinds of commonly eaten foods aren't very filling, so it's hard to feel satisfied eating only those foods, within a fairly low calorie level. Some of those not-very-filling foods are things that some people think of as "junk". And some of the not-filling foods have high calories.

Now, like I said, weight loss is all about proper calories. But using those calories on filling food is important if you're going to stick with it. Also, most people want to be healthy, not just thin, so it's important to get some nutrition in there, too.

Basically, you're going to want to find out what foods are filling for you. For some people, that's proteins, like meat or eggs. For some, it's fats, like nuts or cheese. For others, it's high-volume things, like veggies and fruits. Some need a mix. Sometimes timing matters, when it comes to keeping you full (it doesn't matter for weight loss, except in this "do you feel full and happy" way). So, people eat anything from one meal a day to 6 meals a day, of varying sizes, within their calorie goals.

One thing you can do is to gradually remodel how you're eating, to get to a new variation where you balance enjoyment, nutrition, and feeling full. You can do this by logging your food, then looking at where you're "spending" lots of calories on things that don't help you feel full, and/or have little nutrition for their calories, and reduce those, while adding other foods you enjoy that keep you fuller and give you better nutrition. It doesn't have to happen all at once. You can keep eating foods you like. Some of them can even be "junk foods". Does this make sense?

If so, there's a more complete description of one way to do this, in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Oh, and: If you let MFP set your weight loss goal, it expects you to log your exercise, and eat those calories, too. Some people worry that exercise calories may be overestimated, so start by eating back only part of them, maybe 50%, until they see how things are going (4-6 weeks). Not eating back any exercise calories is guaranteed to be inaccurate, and could result in losing weight too fast, which is not a healthy thing to do.

Your calorie goal of 1600 is already pretty low, so I'd strongly suggest you eat back at least some of your exercise calories. I'm a 5'5", about 9.5 stone li'l ol' lady, age 63, and I'd lose weight pretty rapidly on 1600 calories - I'm thinking you'll lose weight on that, too. (I ate back all my exercise calories while I was losing weight.)

Best wishes!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You want advice? Read all of Ann's discussions.