Anyone try The Every-Other-Day Diet

Options
My sister sent me this link regarding the every other day diet. Just seeing if anybody has tried this with success? The book’s author is Krista Varady. The basics are you eat 500
Calories one day, and the next day you eat whatever you want, then you repeat, etc etc.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    My sister sent me this link regarding the every other day diet. Just seeing if anybody has tried this with success? The book’s author is Krista Varady. The basics are you eat 500
    Calories one day, and the next day you eat whatever you want, then you repeat, etc etc.

It's just version of intermittent fasting similar to 5:2 (same idea but you eat at maintenance for 5 days of the week and ~500 cal for 2 days). The key is you are building a calorie deficit over the week with the low calorie days and eat 'normally' at maintenance the others.

Some people enjoy these versions of IF, but you still have to be mindful not to overeat on your maintenance days so that you keep a deficit over the week.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    if i ate 500 calories one day no one would want to me near me and i'd likely be fired :P

but this ONLY works if you are eating at a calorie deficit at the end of the week. i can see many people going crazy on eating day especially after having starved themselves the previous day and eating more than enough to keep gaining or maintenance.

There is no magic way of eating. to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit. if for someone they can eat a reasonable amount of calories on eating day then sure this could work for weight loss.

+1

Sure fire way to easily wipe out a deficit on the "eat whatever you want" days.

Edited to add: Easy to wipe out a deficit if the person is not already actively aware of how many calories they were eating daily prior to starting a specific way of eating. They could be used to eating over 2000 calories a day, and by restricting so much, on those 'eat anything' days they could easily over eat and increase that intake by much more if they were already eating over their maintenance level.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

Back in the day when I followed it, it was called JUDDD-Dr. Johnson's Up Day, Down Day Diet. Dr. Johnson was before Mosley and Varady took ADF/IF to the mainstream. ADF was what I did for my active weight loss phase and it worked well for me-lost the extra weight with little fuss and transitioned into maintenance fine. Now that I'm a few years into maintenance I've gotten away from IF but I have nothing bad to say about my experience with it :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

How about 5:2? Eat 500 calories just 2 days a week and then maintenance the other 5. Deficit is less steep. Aggressive weight loss makes a larger % of lean muscle loss more likely.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    dfrz447 wrote: »
    I'm doing the 9 day watermelon-egg fast diet this week. if it doesn't work I'll try the every other day diet next week.

Am I just a hopeless optimist in assuming this was sarcasm?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was tempted to Google the diet, but then thought better of it. I'd like to not know whether it's an actual fad diet or not. :lol:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    There is probably very little out there that has not been tried as a magic bullet. Who knows how many people have been out on their front lawn grazing to lose weight.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm doing the 9 day watermelon-egg fast diet this week. if it doesn't work I'll try the every other day diet next week.

Quite a combination there. :#
    Um ewww no.

My friend did the alternate day diet. And of course she regained everything she lost when she went back to "normal eating".
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

Am I just a hopeless optimist in assuming this was sarcasm?

actually, I was being totally facetious. Just my luck it turns out to be a real diet. smh

That’s so funny and very sad at the same time.

Welcome to Poe's Law