Help I binged yesterday!!

Hi all,

I have been using the My Fitness Pal app since 1 December to do a new diet and lose some weight. So far I lost 6 kilos, most of it before Xmas, but I struggled a bit in January due to work stress. Was doing well last weekend and got from 102kg on Friday to 101.3kg on Monday with calorie restriction, but yesterday I put on 0.2 for no reason, and then in the evening I was super-hungry despite only eating my normal calorie-restricted diet of breakfast, sandwich for lunch plus a KitKat, and went on a huge binge in the evening. Now I'm back up to 102 and feeling terrible!

I have no idea why this happened! Can anyone help me, please??

thank you!

Replies

• Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    82EC wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been using the My Fitness Pal app since 1 December to do a new diet and lose some weight. So far I lost 6 kilos, most of it before Xmas, but I struggled a bit in January due to work stress. Was doing well last weekend and got from 102kg on Friday to 101.3kg on Monday with calorie restriction, but yesterday I put on 0.2 for no reason, and then in the evening I was super-hungry despite only eating my normal calorie-restricted diet of breakfast, sandwich for lunch plus a KitKat, and went on a huge binge in the evening. Now I'm back up to 102 and feeling terrible!

I have no idea why this happened! Can anyone help me, please??

thank you!

Just draw a line under it and start again tomorrow. We’re all human and all have binge days. If no-one has binge days, we wouldn’t need MFP to help us! You’re doing great! Don’t beat yourself up. Tomorrow is a new day. Start afresh in the morning. Good luck x
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    weight loss is not linear it goes up and down. Someone will undoubtedly post the picture of what weightloss looks like somewhere further down this thread. Every day it will fluctuate for various reasons - hormones, bloating, fluid retention. etc etc etc. You didn't magically put on 700grams overnight. It will go down again.

Others below will ask you all the other stuff like what are your stats how many cals are you eating etc etc, and give you more advice. All I wanted to say is that don't freak out, weight goes up and down, it's the trend that is importat (track that on Happy Scale). And also, don't restrict TOO MUCH because then it's easier to fail if you're hungry the whole day. More bingeing happens when you're hungry all the time.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Hi Nutmegoreo! Yes I am weighing the same way every day - first thing in the morning after getting up, using the bathroom and before eating. The binge was definitely hunger related because I actually had quite a good day which is what left me so pissed off because on bad days I am an emotional eater so I don’t need to be bingeing in my good days! Grr!

The best thing to do at this point is to let it go. Most of us have rough days. Log it all! It's more information for you. If you kick yourself for the difficult days, you're more likely to go into an emotional eating spiral. It's very normal. The rest of my suggestions above all stand. If you are interested in trending apps, there is HappyScale (iPhone), Libra (android), and Trendweight (desktop, but syncs with FitBit, if you have one, if not, you can still create an account, and FitBit will also sync your weight up here).

If you have any other questions, concerns, or just need to reach out there are usually plenty of people around. You can do it. Just try to not allow the process to stress you out too much.
  • MarisaMSimon
    MarisaMSimon Posts: 277 Member
    jufa6s22xcg0.png
    I eat what I want in moderation without any restrictions. I get back in it on mondays and lose weight consistently every week on my weekly calories.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    cut yourself a break.. you've been doing great. we all get those crazy cravings that lead us off the deep end. Beyond just moving on.. think of what you were eating that could have led to the binge. I find certain foods leave me crazy hungry where I can't make a good decision. So, when I pinpoint what food could have caused it.. I omit it from my diet.
  • nutmegoreo
    cut yourself a break.. you've been doing great. we all get those crazy cravings that lead us off the deep end. Beyond just moving on.. think of what you were eating that could have led to the binge. I find certain foods leave me crazy hungry where I can't make a good decision. So, when I pinpoint what food could have caused it.. I omit it from my diet.

This may work for OP, it may not. I can't eliminate things from my diet. It's a recipe for an over-consumption/guilt/shame spiral, for me. Other people need to eliminate.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Ha, I stayed on track and gained 1.8 for no reason. Must be water. Just keep swimming Dory
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Hi Nutmegoreo my calorie goal is 1440 calories per day but I have found so far I need to eat less than that otherwise the weight loss is only like 0.1 per day max and sometimes nothing at all.

I am on antipsychotic medication so it stuffs up my metabolism and makes it harder to lose weight.

Read this article, OP.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Hi Nutmegoreo! Yes I am weighing the same way every day - first thing in the morning after getting up, using the bathroom and before eating. The binge was definitely hunger related because I actually had quite a good day which is what left me so pissed off because on bad days I am an emotional eater so I don’t need to be bingeing in my good days! Grr!

Whenever I hear "good days" I suspect the person has created too large a deficit. How tall are you? Do you exercise and eat back the calories you earn from exercise? I'd be hangry and bingey with just the MFP base calories.
  • nutmegoreo
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Whenever I hear "good days" I suspect the person has created too large a deficit. How tall are you? Do you exercise and eat back the calories you earn from exercise? I'd be hangry and bingey with just the MFP base calories.

I interpreted "good days" to be in relation to emotionally good as opposed to calorically good. Perhaps OP can clarify.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hi Nutmegoreo my calorie goal is 1440 calories per day but I have found so far I need to eat less than that otherwise the weight loss is only like 0.1 per day max and sometimes nothing at all.

I am on antipsychotic medication so it stuffs up my metabolism and makes it harder to lose weight.

You're not going to lose weight everyday...that's not realistic in the least. Bodyweight fluctuates and you need to look at the overall trend over time. You're going to have weeks with smaller losses, no losses, bigger losses, and gains...it's just how the body works...it's not a linear thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

My brother takes mood stabilizers and antipsychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he's over-medicated he can be anywhere from fatigued to a zombie.

When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained in the hospital and has maintained a healthy weight for over three years.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I 'binged' the day before yesterday. And it felt good. Exactly what I needed. So yeah, have not been to the loo yet and I had a big bag of crisps. So of course I'm heavier now: water weight and waste weight. It will sort itself out again. It's nothing in the grand scheme of things.