Drug-Free bodybuilding and hitting macros

Hey All, 33 year old natural bodybuilder here looking for more interesting ways to incorporate carbs. I love to eat and don't really track my macros religiously but I usually keep my carbs really low. I know I need to increase, but I'm not a crazy pasta/bread guy. What do you guys do???

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    There are many sources of carbs... grains, potatoes, rice, fruit (dried or fresh), crackers, pancakes, waffles, cereal, oats, juice, jams, syrups, honey, candy.
  • wreckitronald
    wreckitronald Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for the reply! I know the basics, like what types of carbs are out there - but do you use any specific types of simple/complex carbs at certain times of day?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Thanks for the reply! I know the basics, like what types of carbs are out there - but do you use any specific types of simple/complex carbs at certain times of day?

Nope. Unless I bonk at the gym, then I'll take in some quick carbs, gummy bears or Sour Patch Kids usually. Otherwise, I just eat when I'm hungry.
  • wreckitronald
    I've heard those are awesome for post workout!!!
  • quiksylver296
    I've heard those are awesome for post workout!!!

Intra-workout. Like I said, when I bonk.
  • wreckitronald
    I'll have to invest in some - Thank you! "Bonk" LoL I love that!
  • sardelsa

I usually have candy before and during my workout. Otherwise not really. I do make sure I get some carbs and protein at each meal or snack when bulking.
  • wreckitronald
    sardelsa wrote: »

I usually have candy before and during my workout. Otherwise not really. I do make sure I get some carbs and protein at each meal or snack when bulking.

I have been having a muffin before a workout, the pump has been out of control but I do feel a bit of a crash.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    I treat all carbs the same. Either it’s fruit or Cinnamon Toast Crunch. at the end of the day I don’t care. I’m not afraid of sugar , natural or added sugar, but I do try to eat a reasonably balanced diet. But I’m at the top of my bulk and I have like 200 carbs left tonight. Donuts and cereal tonight
  • quiksylver296
    jdog022 wrote: »
    I treat all carbs the same. Either it’s fruit or Cinnamon Toast Crunch. at the end of the day I don’t care. I’m not afraid of sugar , natural or added sugar, but I do try to eat a reasonably balanced diet. But I’m at the top of my bulk and I have like 200 carbs left tonight. Donuts and cereal tonight

Good words right there!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    oh my god carbs are sooooo easy for me to eat. have fruit. Pomegranate is a wonderful pre-workout give you the "pomps" (seriously - look at all the content this dude here has: https://www.instagram.com/coacheugeneteo/?hl=en or http://www.ganbarumethod.com ) he talks about the benefits of pomegranate.

Other than fruit, I love bread pasta etc etc so not a problem. I eat potatoes for the calorie bang for buck. If calories allow (or I feel like it and am not too caring about the calories) I love some granola with fruit juice or yoghurt (instead of milk).

And no I don't use any different types at different times. But I do have some with every meal
  • wreckitronald
    My issue has been too much sugar and dairy make me break out like crazy (and I'm sure stress)... so I'm trying to stay as clean as possible but need the cheat once in a while
  • sardelsa
    My issue has been too much sugar and dairy make me break out like crazy (and I'm sure stress)... so I'm trying to stay as clean as possible but need the cheat once in a while

In the end you have to figure out what makes you feel your best, for me I have no issues with sugar or dairy but any artificial sweeteners give me severe migraines and upset stomach. I don't consider anything clean or dirty, just foods that work best for me and help me reach my goals.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

Nope. Unless I bonk at the gym, then I'll take in some quick carbs, gummy bears or Sour Patch Kids usually. Otherwise, I just eat when I'm hungry.

My goto is Better Crocker fruit snacks (The "Scooby Snacks" ones are available in a 90-count box, and the Better Crocker brand fair pretty well in more extreme temperatures sitting in my car)(Kellogg's does not).
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    I've found white rice & potatoes quite easy to digest (usually an issue for me with other carbs & tons of other foods). Anything is "clean" if you track/measure it & fit into your macros
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I soak steel oats in whey overnight for my drive in to the gym. It is easily digestible and fuels my 2-3 hour sessions very well.

White rice is pretty common with my post workout meal.

3 servings of higher fat ice cream at night.

Other than that, I just try to eat reasonably well balanced meals.

Mind you my goals are not Aesthetics, they're just a byproduct of my training and lower body fat. So I don't purposely restrict or manipulate macros.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    I try to get mine from quinoa, potato, or yams. I do however use Carbion pre and intra workout