What have I done to my daughter?

Options
2»

Replies

• datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    this wasn't your fault.. it would have happened either way, her body was just use to it.
  • kdchick99
    kdchick99 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I don't think you have harmed your daughter, but her body is not use to the dairy, sugar, and etc. Keep trying different things like soy milk, oat milk, goat milk, and etc. to see if she is having the same reactions. For me, the thought of giving up ice cream would be a blessing! LOL..... Always has been my weakness. Good luck and let us know the outcome!!!!!!!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have friends who have sworn off meat - especially beef - for health reasons. After some time of not eating it, they've lost their ability to digest it. That's what probably happened with your daughter. Our bodies make enzymes to help us digest what we eat. I think we stop making them for certain things if we don't eat them for a while.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It happened to me in college, I now eat ice cream just fine. Get some of the lactaid pills, if she didn't have this issue before her body should readjust.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is a great alternative to milk. Plus it has 50% more calcium than regular milk and it also makes great ice cream. I posted a great recipe for 35 calorie almond milk ice cream.
    Yes, almond milk is more expensive, but it is less in calories and tastes better too.....at least to me.
    I get the Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened and it has 35 calories for 1 cup. I use it in cereal, protein shakes, etc. Has a nice creamy texture.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You know it may not just be the dairy - it could be the high sugars in icecream. So don't worry. Suggest that she tries something a little less high-sugar but dairy based.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have this issue w/ ice cream now too. Make sure you buy a brand that has no high fructose corn syrup in it. Breyers is a good one. I seem to have less issues going that route, since most ice cream has A LOT of crap in it. Otherwise, she could have a bit of lactose intolerance, but I'd try the no HFCS route first.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    She was probably always sensitive to dairy but didn't notice the effects. Once you remove it for a few weeks, the symptoms become clear. you didn't create the sensitivity; you uncovered it. Feel grateful she knows about it. She'll feel better without it. It is one of the top inflammatory foods...

This. :happy:

A lot of people are mildly sensitive to dairy and don't really know it because it has basically ALWAYS been present in their diets. Then, when they take it out, they realize how gross it makes them feel. There's also a lot of people starting to think that it really isn't as healthy for us as previously believed. The reason it is included in the food pyramid (or plate or whatever it is now) has a lot more to do with the politics of the dairy industry than actual nutritional requirements.

Edit: The high sugar content probably doesn't help much either.
  • chloebelle777
    Options
    i think her body is not used to eating it and should slowly get back into it. I cut out all sugar for awhile, then when I started eating it again, it made me feel nauseous. I don't think there's any need for alarm. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen too.. and sometimes it flares up and other times it's absolutely fine.. so go figure.

I've found that organic products(well the milk at least) helps me. My stomach doesn't turn, I don't get the nasty side affects that I get from eating normal diary. Only problem is, it's quite expensive for organic milk :(
  • char2009
    char2009 Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm the same. No dairy (or very very little) no grease, no chips and very few grains believe it or not! I get to be in so much pain I can't get out of bed, nor can I digest anything. I have to have milk of magnesia on hand at all times. :( 1 tbsp of ice cream is good for me, after that my stomache kills me. I generally just avoid dairy products and try to take calcium pills when I remember. I do keep soy milk on hand too though...just incase I decide I want to have a bowl of cereal.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if this is a repeat. But you didn't MAKE her lactose intolerant. What might be going on is that she's always had a reaction to it, but she didn't really notice because she was used to having dairy more frequently. I'm allergic to dairy personally -- it triggers asthma attacks and major sinus problems, and if I have it in large quantities I can't stay out of the bathroom. But I never realized that was my trigger until I went off dairy for 3 years while my babies were nursing, and then I introduced it back into my diet. Had major issues for a while. Now I've found that I can have it in small amounts without having too hard of a time, but I'm really better off without it.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You all have been so very helpful! We have lots of things to try, and some rethinking to do. Again, thanks for all the help, this is yet another reason why I love MFP so much!