question about my neighbors dogs

Options
So I have got new neighbors... they have 7 little dogs.. idk breeds just that they're all little some bald some fluffy lol... and I have a pitbull in my yard. These tiny dogs always get loose and run around everywhere.. my question is if these dogs go into my yard and my dog hurts them will I be "liable" for the damage??

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    In our area, no, you are not responsible if your dog was in an enclosed area and they entered the enclosed area and got hurt. Check your animal control policies for you area, though, as it might be different.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I would say no, but to make sure you might want to contact some sort of pet control local to yourself, also go speak to your neighbours and just let them know you have a large dog and you are worried if they get in the yard they may get hurt. People should be more resposible with their pets, not you obviously them. Maybe they should secure their yard.
  • JenGilronan
    JenGilronan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My area too... If your dog is secured and another animal/person comes in and gets hurt, your dog is not "liable." But, definitely check. I know of some states, city, neighborhoods that don't allow pitbulls. I'm fond of the breed and heard that they are the best companion and family dogs :)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I would also put a no trespassing and beware of dog sign on your fence too just to help cover your butt, as well as speaking to the neighbors about your concerns.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    In my area, if YOUR dogs are confined to YOUR yard (whether it be on a lease, on a chain or fenced in yard) and another dog enters your yard and is injured or killed - you are not held liable.

I would go over and tell your neighbors that you have a dog and he may not be overly friendly about their dogs wandering into your yard. Try and be polite, but stern. They're putting their dogs at risk by not chaining them up or fencing their yard. What happens to them outside of their yard will be placed firmly on their owner's shoulders.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I would say no, but to make sure you might want to contact some sort of pet control local to yourself, also go speak to your neighbours and just let them know you have a large dog and you are worried if they get in the yard they may get hurt. People should be more resposible with their pets, not you obviously them. Maybe they should secure their yard.

^This!

You will definitely have to speak with them. Because their dogs are going to be interested in your dog. And your dog will be interested in an easy snack.

Explain to them that you keep your dog safely in your own yard, as they should. You are not responsible for anything that happens to those dogs on your property. You will need to tell them this. The sad thing is if they are the kind of people they sound like they will let their dogs run all over the neighborhood and blame anyone else the minute something happens.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I would also check with your city on the amount of animals one is allowed to keep. In my city, we can only have 5 dogs I believe. If anything maybe it would scare them into keeping their dogs in check.
  • megamoo04
    megamoo04 Posts: 269
    Options
    I have a pitbull also and no you wont get in trouble make sure that you have signs posted about a dog in your yard and make sure your dog stays in your area and i would also suggest talking to your neighbor and maybe also calling your local animal control so if something does happen you have record that you tried to prevent it...
  • jadeblue14
    jadeblue14 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Double check with your local ordinances, but as long as your dog is contained in your yard, it would be their responsibility for not having control of their dog.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    I am getting a sign specifically made for my dog, "Beware of the Landshark!" :laugh:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I also have a pit :happy:

I live in Florida and every city has ordinances (sp). I would research this asap. we all know that pits get blamed for everything. :frown:

However, if a "free roaming" animal (cats, birds) gets hurt I was told i'm liable.

Best of luck!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    "I read on the internet..." never holds up in court.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I would also check with your city on the amount of animals one is allowed to keep. In my city, we can only have 5 dogs I believe. If anything maybe it would scare them into keeping their dogs in check.

^^ THIS
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "I read on the internet..." never holds up in court.

*snort*
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. Be prepared, though, with ANY incident involving your dogs, for there to be breed-specific prejudice. It's varies in different parts of the world, but as a fellow APBT owner, we know the breed to hate/fear/ban for the last decade or so is the pit bull. So even though you and your dog may not be at fault technically, know that any incident involving a pit bull can create a kerfuffle. Know your state laws. Talk to your neighbors. Be pro-active.

Also, most dogs are pretty good around puppies. Perhaps you could arrange a meet on neutral territory?

P.S. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to type "kerfuffle."
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Legally liable or not,.... since you have a pitbull there are a lot of people just waiting to catch it doing something aggressive so they can throw a big loud fit about it.