• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon fung is a nephrologist just to clear things up
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @psuLemon fung is a nephrologist just to clear things up

Thanks.. its been awhile since i looked at his background.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    wderwich1 wrote: »
    Hi , i heared a lot about the IF , people are using it to lose weight . Personally , i was using this pattern since 2 weeks , at first i was fasting 16 hours and i was eating for 8 hours , than after 3 days i started fasting 20 hours , i lost 1.5 kg during this period , i hope you share with me your succes story using this pattern if you've tried it .

The most recent I'd heard about it involved 3 days of very low calories followed by two days of no restrictions. The idea of it is that on the 2 unrestricted days, the people ate about 120% of their normal daily intake, while on the three restricted days they ate 25% of their normal daily intake.

Doing the CICO math, that always leads to weight loss. It also has the good result that the person's NEAT is not reduced. 3 restricted days are not enough to change it, and 2 unrestricted days are enough to repair any damage that was done.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    To the OP: I did IF for about 2 years, I realized I wasn't hungry in the AM so I kind of accidentally ended up doing 16:8. It was a great way to control my appetite and avoid "opening the flood gates" of thinking about food until later in the day. But a few months ago, I started waking up really hungry, and after trying to power through it for a few weeks decided to go back to eating a little something in the morning. If I get to the point again where I'm not hungry in the morning I'd happily go back to it. But other than appetite/hunger signals I didn't personally find any additional benefits, like calorie needs, energy, that sort of thing. Sorry your thread turned into an argument. I hope it keeps working well for you!

Just a thought but has your sleep pattern changed? Have you been tested for Apnea? I ask because I am pretty much forced to skip breakfast. This is okay normally but if I struggle to sleep the next day I have a harder time being hungry in the morning.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    To the OP: I did IF for about 2 years, I realized I wasn't hungry in the AM so I kind of accidentally ended up doing 16:8. It was a great way to control my appetite and avoid "opening the flood gates" of thinking about food until later in the day. But a few months ago, I started waking up really hungry, and after trying to power through it for a few weeks decided to go back to eating a little something in the morning. If I get to the point again where I'm not hungry in the morning I'd happily go back to it. But other than appetite/hunger signals I didn't personally find any additional benefits, like calorie needs, energy, that sort of thing. Sorry your thread turned into an argument. I hope it keeps working well for you!

Just a thought but has your sleep pattern changed? Have you been tested for Apnea? I ask because I am pretty much forced to skip breakfast. This is okay normally but if I struggle to sleep the next day I have a harder time being hungry in the morning.

Thanks, but no. I was working at home at the time and could basically pick my own bed time and wake time, and was pretty consistent throughout. I definitely find I'm hungrier on days I'm tired, but that's usually because I got caught up in a book or Netflix and stayed up way too late :smile: I've never been tested for apnea, but I've never had any reason to doubt my sleep quality. Now that I'm working at an office, I'm consistently hungry by 9AM regardless.