Macros... Thoughts?

Ok so I'm meant to be on a low carb diet (Dr's orders) but my PT says carbs, fats and proteins should be equal... Is anyone here on a low carb diet and are there any particular macros you aim for?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Your PT's concept would have my carbs less than half of what mfp set up has mine. So as everyone's concept of what "low" carb actually means, anything from dropping 15 grams through to no grams, I think its where "you" feel comfortable at. It might help to work on reducing by increments because its easy to sacrifice fibre going in too hard, which can bring on other issues.

Thinking about possible reasons a medic may suggest carb cutting, many of the conditions can see a good result with less of a carb restriction depending of the person themselves the extent of the condition. Much depends on your ultimate personal goal, then doing what you are comfortable with.

(At this point I need to crawl off and have a deep think about my diet, family function in two months, giggle, ample time to make a change or two, I've been in cruse mode for a while)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    an0393na wrote: »
    Ok so I'm meant to be on a low carb diet (Dr's orders) but my PT says carbs, fats and proteins should be equal... Is anyone here on a low carb diet and are there any particular macros you aim for?

if there is a medical reason you need to be low carb, then i would stick with that and not listen to your PT
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    PT's can't really advise about diet, so I'd ignore it, but actually equal (by g) fat, carb, and protein would be low carb, and 33-33-33 macro split would also be considered low carb by many or most.

On 1500 cal, 33% split would be 125 g protein (likely more than you need), 125 g carbs (normally within what a dr would mean by low carb), and about 56 g fat. If cals are lower, it's probably a better split, it's what I did when briefly on 1200.

If grams, 90 of each would be low carb and be 1530 cal.
  • Chaos_Angel
    Chaos_Angel Posts: 23 Member
    I've experimented with Macros for years,
    Different ratios DO produce different results. On mood and composition, everything really.
    The thing is, you have to try out different ratios and see how you feel and look in response. :)
    At the moment what works best for me is 75% carb 15% fat %20 protein But that's me xD
    Hope this helps :)
  • Chaos_Angel
    Chaos_Angel Posts: 23 Member
    ^ I meant 65% lawl maths eh