Weight Machine Etiquette

(I did search for about 10 minutes to see if this was answered, I'm sure it has been, but I could not find the needle in the haystack)

As part of my overall routine my trainer suggested ab focused 3 machines. 3 sets of 15-20 reps. So, machine 1 - do reps, machine 2 - do reps, machine 3 - do rep, repeat. But what if someone else is doing all their sets at once(minimal time between) on machine "2" in my set? Should I just go back to what's available out of order? Standing there like a fool was not a fun feeling. I'm a complete newbie and feel lost!

Replies

• rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    If someone is on a machine I need, I'll just move to a different machine until the first is freed up. My former trainer said there's no rule that requires a set order.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Yeah, the person super-setting (what you're doing) will have to defer to the person who isn't. You can ask to work in while they rest. Most veteran gym goers are totally cool with that, especially on machines where it's easy to reset the weight.

^Yes this.

Also there really isn't a reason to be them as a superset IMHO. It would make no difference to do 3 sets on each machine.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Yeah, the person super-setting (what you're doing) will have to defer to the person who isn't. You can ask to work in while they rest. Most veteran gym goers are totally cool with that, especially on machines where it's easy to reset the weight.

a third vote for this.

working-in should be an option, especially on a machine where you're just moving a pin or adjusting a seat position.

best of luck!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

I agree.

I hope the trainer has the OP doing some core work without the machines (unless she has some restrictions). The support the machine provides eliminates a good bit of the benefits of core work.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited January 2019
    Thank you all for responses! What you all say makes a lot of sense. I am doing the super sets (though they were not called this by my trainer) on Day 1 and Day 3 of my routine, but those are on much less used equipment that I can easily jump around on out of order if I need to.

I think it makes sense to do all three sets at one go rather than expecting to be able to move between 3 pieces of equipment so quickly. I'm going in on Saturday and will ask the trainer about the rest time between to use.
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I hope the trainer has the OP doing some core work without the machines (unless she has some restrictions). The support the machine provides eliminates a good bit of the benefits of core work.

As for core work, I'm also doing another weight machine circuit and cardio. I had surgery in 2017 that replaced part of my abdominal wall with mesh, so i'm taking it slow going from zero. This is just the 1st 4 weeks. Might add more later! Thank you for commenting! I appreciate it!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    Thank you all for responses! What you all say makes a lot of sense. I am doing the super sets (though they were not called this by my trainer) on Day 1 and Day 3 of my routine, but those are on much less used equipment that I can easily jump around on out of order if I need to.

I think it makes sense to do all three sets at one go rather than expecting to be able to move between 3 pieces of equipment so quickly. I'm going in on Saturday and will ask the trainer about the rest time between to use.

As for core work, I'm also doing another weight machine circuit and cardio. I had surgery in 2017 that replaced part of my abdominal wall with mesh, so i'm taking it slow going from zero. This is just the 1st 4 weeks. Might add more later! Thank you for commenting! I appreciate it!

That would make sense. Best of luck on your recovery and fitness journey.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    shinycrazy wrote: »

Hi there!

I work a ton of supersets in my training plans. There is a benefit in wearing out opposite or close muscle groups in back-to-back sets without breaks. This can be a very efficient technique in really 'lighting up' and exhausting/ripping muscle fibers, which you wouldn't always achive when doing the exercises separately and with rest periods.
    If your trainer actually gave this the same thought, it should be easy to explain.
    He might be able to break up the workout into 2 supersets of 2 exercises, and still get the same results, considering the 'line' on the machines or weights.

Happy lifting!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2019
    3 straight super set ab exercises in a row just sounds brutal. Most common is to pair antagonistic muscle groups in pairs (ex) biceps + triceps, chest + back, etc.). Maybe as a final set/to failure to close out a lifting session seems doable

I'm not too crazy about going in any particular order as far as super sets go; I don't get upset & just go to an alternative movement if someone randomly jumps in (mostly using cables or do machine exercises which can be replicated easily with free weights or cables like 90+% of time - helpful to be accustomed with exercise variations - barbell, dumbbell, kettlebell, smith machine, cable, machine, etc. version of movement X).
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited January 2019
    3 straight super set ab exercises in a row just sounds brutal. Most common is to pair antagonistic muscle groups in pairs (ex) biceps + triceps, chest + back, etc.). Maybe as a final set/to failure to close out a lifting session seems doable

I'm not too crazy about going in any particular order as far as super sets go; I don't get upset & just go to an alternative movement if someone randomly jumps in (mostly using cables or do machine exercises which can be replicated easily with free weights or cables like 90+% of time - helpful to be accustomed with exercise variations - barbell, dumbbell, kettlebell, smith machine, cable, machine, etc. version of movement X).

^ All of this! It also helps to work higher weights/fewer reps. People are more willing to let someone 'work in' between sets, if they can finish within their set rest times or second exercise. My supersets have between 6-10 reps, if I had to wait for someone to finish 20 reps, I'd be cold... :D