Loosing to gain?

Options
Hi all.

I'm quite new to all this and am at the beginning of a journey to go from 145kg to 120kg in May, and then further down to 90 once my first goal is achieved.

However, long term I would like to build and get that "ripped" look, (without getting overly big......

My question is.....I see alot about gains and cuts ECT...... I. Not entirely sure of the reasons and I know I need to read more, but should I be looking at loosing my weight first, then look into strength training and bulking/cutting or should I continue as I am now doing some upper body ECT.?

Also if anyone has any links to great beginner guides that would be awesome thanks so much.

Jon
6ft2 145kg

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Have a read through the first few pages of this thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I'm doing Strong Lifts as I lose weight. Full body, 3 times a week.

If you want a good book to read, get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I absolutely suggest starting to lift right away, even while losing. The linked program thread has a lot in there; I prefer the more curated list in the wiki at r/fitness. https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/recommended_routines

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Another vote for START LIFTING NOW. Many, many people have stated on this site that they waited until goal weight and regretted it.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Another vote for START LIFTING NOW. Many, many people have stated on this site that they waited until goal weight and regretted it.

Yeah, I've never heard anyone say, "ya know, I should've waiting to start lifting". For most (self included) it's "holy crap, I should've started this years ago"
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Yeah, I've never heard anyone say, "ya know, I should've waiting to start lifting". For most (self included) it's "holy crap, I should've started this years ago"

Yup. Another one who waited and now regrets it.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yep, start a progressive lifting program, and get a lot of sleep.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Another vote for start lifting now! For me, it was frustrating because I wouldn’t lose weight - but I lost inches instead, so keep that in mind.
    I spent too many years doing lots of cardio, when I should have been lifting!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend a combo of lifting *and* cardio, and starting it now.

Lifting for strength and the preservation of existing muscle mass during the weight loss phase. Cardio for health and the extra calories it will allow you enjoy in the process.
  • Rabbit91476
    Rabbit91476 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do calisthenics. It will motivate you to loose weight as it is Easier to do more reps. Protein first then fats(important for testosterone then cabs. Tried high fat low carbs. Lost weight faster but body didn’t tolerate it long term.