Day 2 and i'm struggling

Options
Hey all,

I never thought CC would be this hard. Im hungry today and ive already planned my meals and snacks! Did anyone else find this when they were starting out? How long did it take to get used to? Im struggling with the weighing of foods and dont know what listed food on here are right or not when it comes to generic foods.

Hope your all having a good Monday xx

Replies

• Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    i'd say eat more if you're hungry... you arent reaching your calorie goal for the day
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are staying way under 1200 calories a day, of course you are going to be hungry! You need to eat to lose. Best of luck:flowerforyou:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It gets easier.

The hunger bit will go away... it's your mind bucking the change in routine more than your stomach actually being hungry. Just make sure your snacks are high in fiber (fruits, veggies, yogurt, complex carbs, nuts) so you feel full longer.

Give it a week and you'll see the difference. I think it took my brain a lot longer than my body to follow the new plan!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    A few days is all it takes to adjust, in the mean time, drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits and veggies... minimal calories for a lot of food!
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. the 1st couple weeks are the hardest. GL
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you don't have much to lose at all. You should not eat less than 1200 Net (1200 plus eat back what you burn) and since you have less than 15lbs to go your goal should be to lose no more than 0.5lbs/week. If you set your goal to 0.5lb loss per week it will give you more calories, you will be less hungry, have more energy, lose a high % fat (vs losing muscle if your deficit is too large) and help prepare you for eating maintenance caloires.
  • Emzieroo
    Emzieroo Posts: 20
    Options
    It gets better :) Im also on my first few days and the hunger is a constant nag but itll go away eventually :) x
  • bearsfan2334
    Options
    Looks like you are staying way under 1200 calories a day, of course you are going to be hungry! You need to eat to lose. Best of luck:flowerforyou:

Yes, you need to eat more, sounds crazy but 1200 is the bare minimum. Don't let your body go into starvation mode!
  • shadykins
    Options
    It can be hard if your not used to it thats for sure. Make sure you drink lots of water throughout the day and if you high fiber foods that will keep you full longer. Also, make sure you eat the calories it tells you to and dont starve yourself. Fiber foods really do keep you fuller, some foods are empty calories and if you eat them will be hungry a short time later. Drink water when you eat high fiber foods as well...they are both so good for you.

I dont really count the calories on everything. I have whatever I feel like having for breakfast, within reason, usually oatmeal and a peice of fruit and add it then I have lunch put it in and whatever is left after the first 2 important meals of the day, I will have for supper. Supper is really the only one I count or watch. If I have alot of calories left I will have something good, if not usually salade and chicken or something light.

Hope this helps a bit. Dont give up, it will get easier.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry - eat. You didn't reach your 1200 calorie goal yesterday. You need to aim to make that number as close to zero as possible. 400 calories leftover isn't giving your body enough fuel. Sure, you'll lose weight at first but once your body wakes up and realizes you're starving? The weight loss will slow way down or even stop.

Not eating is like not putting gas in your car and then expecting it to take you to work. It won't happen. Eat to lose. Our bodies NEED fuel to function and NEED fuel to feel comfortable enough to lose weight.

I eat 2200-2500 NET calories a day, sweetie and I am maintaining 143-145lbs.

Eat. Eat. Eat!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I agree with the group. You have to eat closer to 1200 calories a day. It's just dangerous to do less. You can always drive your net down with exercise.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Everyone said it! Get more food! Fruits, Veggies, etc.....You can eat alot for 1200.

It does get easier! Your body has to get use to it! Also, go work out- Eat your exercise calories if you are hungry!

I work out now to eat!!!!!

of course to also be heathly! but the more I workout the more food I get!
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Oh wow thanks for the replies everyone. So glad to hear that im not alone and it gets easier! The reason I am under my calories is because I dont know if what I am putting down is correct or not, eg the pork chop weight and whether i should be weighing veggies as frozen or cooked weight. All so confusing! x
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Oh wow thanks for the replies everyone. So glad to hear that im not alone and it gets easier! The reason I am under my calories is because I dont know if what I am putting down is correct or not, eg the pork chop weight and whether i should be weighing veggies as frozen or cooked weight. All so confusing! x
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Eat more dude!! Looks like you've usually got some calories to spare...whack in a banana, apple etc in there of have some more veggies etc with your dinner :-)
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I found it very difficult at first to stay under calories because I wasn't planning ahead. Now, I plan every meal during the work week, with the exception of some dinners (but usually I have a good idea what I will be cooking). With the day already completely mapped out, I can see how many calories I have to work with and if I do feel a little hungrier than expected I can add in another little snack like an apple or a yogurt.

I recommend not putting in exercise calories until you actually work out. I used to occasionally put in my jogging calories at the beginning of the day, thinking for sure I would jog since it's already logged. It works with food, why not exercise? I've learned that for me, personally, I am less likely to exercise if I put it in my journal before I actually do it. It's weird, right? I haven't figured that one out yet. Lol.

As far as weighing foods, I haven't weighed anything yet, and I've been doing just fine. I find that if you have a lot of listings for the same item, it's best to pick one with the higher calories listed. I overestimate to be safe. I do measure as much as I can. Cups and ounces. I count my nuts and so forth. It's a lot of work when you start out, but once you get used to seeing the portions, then you can look at food and pretty accurately tell whether it's one serving or 1.5 or 2, etc. Keep at it, and you'll get the hang of it.

For now, I would pack as many snacks as you can afford in your calorie budget to get you through the day. Greek yogurt is awesome, apples are great. Things with fiber and protein will keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Good luck!!!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So, I just looked at your diary and realized that like others have already said, you're not eating enough. You have to eat at least 1200 calories a day... AFTER exercise. If you eat 1200 calories but then burn 500 running, you have to eat another 500. Because if you don't, you'll only have 700 NET calories for the day. You need at least 1200 or your body will hold on to everything you eat and you'll stop losing weight.

Add in veggies, fruits and some cheese. Those are all great for you and will add calories to your meals.
    Good luck!!
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Thank you everyone, this forum is so helpful and full of you experts! I feel like a right twit asking questions left, right and centre!
    If I have nore veggies tonight that will take me over my protine count, is that OK? But if I have another chocolate bar that will keep me within my protine and calorie count, confused!
    Should I be weighing my veggies whilst frozen or after cooking? Cheers xx
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Hi there, I just looked at your diary. You are not eating enough and are consuming empty calories with the pot noodle and galaxy bar. Not to mention the sodium in the pot noodle. Instead of the chocolate, have a handful of nuts. if you are craving chocolate, go for a piece of dark chocolate (like lindt 85% or something similar that you can get in the UK- it's about 50 cal per square and so rich one piece is enough). Try for a mix of lean protein, fresh veggies, whole grains (either in pasta, bread, quinoa, brown rice), some dairy, and some fruit. It will keep you filled up. You should consider upping your calories, you'll still lose weight. I started out with a 2 lb per week goal and my calories were set to 1200. Even with exercise that gave me about 1550 per day. That lasted one day because I was starving. I am now set to lose 1 lb per week with 1500 calories per day and with exercise its about 1850. I never go hungry and I usually have about 200 calories left at the end of the day and on days I don't exercise I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. tweak your goals a little. You'll be mush happier and not tempted to fall off the wagon! Good luck :)
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Thank you :) x