New to MFP & any advice on Keto?

Options
I recently joined myfitnesspal.com on the advice of my Diabetes dietician & then my daughter showing me her app on her phone a few days ago. It is not habit yet but I hope to make it a habit (especially when I get rid of my old flip phone for a new smart phone (working on that). My doctor wants me to start a Keto diet so I'm researching that. Ant advice from anyone on a Keto diet? Thanks!

Replies

• ginagurl79
    ginagurl79 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Following - wish I could help u more..heard bad things about Keto w my diabetes...but not from a physician!

Right now I’m calorie counting and mixing the beach body t20 work out In it.
    This weekend I’m getting a treadmill, hoping for a new start.

Hope u do well, I’m new
    Too!!! ♥️
  • kmplacie
    kmplacie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've been having issues with lack of energy & chronic fatigue. I also have nephropathy. My doctor feels that the Keto diet could help with both because, if done right, it evens your blood sugar levels out & once you enter the Ketosis state, it makes your body burn fat. She pointed out that there's a right way & a wrong to do it for diabetics so I recommend that you talk to your doctor as well if you think you might want to try it. She will be monitoring me through it all. I have an appt. to see her again on 2/27. You give me some encouragement already because I'm not quite brave enough yet to post a picture.
  • kmplacie
    Options
    Good Luck with your weight loss & health journey as well! <3
  • curt434
    curt434 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I’m also new but I have been doing keto since October and I’ve lost 50+ pounds. Started at 286 and I’m about 230-235 now. I do not have diabetes but my dad does, he was taking the shot everyday and has been doing the keto diet and lost tons of weight. He is to the point where his doctor told him if he keeps going the way he is he may come off his diabetic medication. Keto works. Low carb and high fat. The goal is to kick your body into ketosis. Your body will then become a fat burning machine. I aim for 5 % carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat. Keto for me is a lot more simple than any other diet. I feel great and I don’t have to put to much thought into it. Also UA has a short video on here explaining the different diets and keto is one of them. If you watch YouTube often there are great keto guys out there trying to educate people. I personally like Thomas delauer. I’m no expert I have just researched and tried to put it in practice. I don’t do it perfectly but I know I’ve lost 50 pounds and my dad has lost tons of weight. Sorry it’s long but hope it encourages you to give keto a shot. Check out the YouTube videos lol
  • albertaro
    albertaro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto with 2 friends. I don't have much to lose but they do. Since they started they have gone off blood pressure meds, metformin, statins and A1Cs are down into the normal range. For me, my triglycerides went from 177 to 117. Keto and low carbs has been working nicely for us with no side effects - except needing to buy new clothes. Learn about it and remember you don't have to be perfect to get results.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    There is well established Keto group on MFP. Members are doing Keto for various reasons, weight loss, migraines and other neurological problems, diabetes, PCOS etc.
    Many have been told to do Keto by their doctors.

A lot of the members are very knowledgeable having years of experience and willing to help and answer any questions.

Come join us :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • kmplacie
    Options
    Thank you SOOOOO much to ALL of you! After reading all of your posts, I'm definitely a lot more encouraged by this. I'm still learning & hope for some of the great results that I've just read about from all of you. I will check out this MFP group for sure. Thanks!