UK supplement tips?

Options
Looking for some supplement and protein tips

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What do you think you need to supplement?

For protein, pre log to hit your target.

0.6-0.8g of protein per gram of bodyweight is adequate.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
    What kind of supplements are you referring to and what would they be doing for you?
  • stebrowny86
    stebrowny86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don’t know lol just looking to see what people take with the weight loss I seen a lot of supplements to help with weight loss like meal replacements
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don’t know lol just looking to see what people take with the weight loss I seen a lot of supplements to help with weight loss like meal replacements

Calorie deficit for weight loss, adequate protein to help retain muscle, multi vitamin if you don't eat much fruit and veg.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories, no supplements required :smile:

If you have trouble reaching your protein goal, protein powder is an easy low cal way to get more.

If you have a nutritional deficiency, it can affect your energy or hormonal balance. Targeted supplementing of the vitamin or mineral can help, but should be done after blood work confirms the deficiency with your doctors guidance. Some people take a generic multi vitamin as "insurance".

Fat burners, appetite suppressants, etc are snake oil. At best they contain caffeine which some people find is a mild appetite suppresser.

Save your money and buy a $15 food scale instead, then get logging!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Meal replacements aren't a supplement - they are an alternative not an addition, mostly a very poor alternative.

You need to get in the mindset that dieting for weight loss happens because you eat less, not adding something miraculous on top of your intake. If it was that easy there wouldn't be many overweight people around.

Supplement if you are actually deficient in something. Vitamin D in our miserable winter might be one example.

Whey protein can be a calorie and cost efficient way of hitting a suitable protein goal but they are just a liquid food with a certain calorie and nutrition profile.

Suggest you have a read of the various sticky threads pinned to the top of the various forums, there's a wealth of good information there.