I always get stuck in the 330s... Help?

Options
13»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    Make sure your scale has fresh batteries in it.

Mine will continue to give the same weight day after day when it needs a new battery - and I know it's not possible to keep weighing the same every day regardless of what else I'm doing.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the encouragement!

I've decided not to do daily weigh-ins anymore. I thought I could handle it -- especially with the help of a weight trend program -- but I can't. It is absolutely driving me nuts.

Clearly, I'm doing something right despite what the scale currently says because I have lost 13 lbs in a month! I'll come back on 2/6 and check in with you guys. If the scale still hasn't moved by then, I might need some more advice...

I think it's like was previously mentioned... if it's only been a month, you dropped a lot of water weight initially that has been masking your ongoing fat loss the last couple of weeks. It will even out soon... hang in there! :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hang in there @emmylootwo. I decided to ignore the scale for about three months. It was depressing to look at. One evening, I was headed to a party and went to put my favorite jeans on (the ones that I loved, but that had been too small to look good) They were so big, I was able to pull them down over my hips without unbuttoning them. Literally. It had been about 14 weeks since I started tracking. I had no idea what my weight was, but holy cow. That was way more gratifying than seeing a number.

Incidentally, I have since taken on fitness goals (nothing like powerlifting competitions or anything, just being fit enough to do what I want to do, when I want to do it). My weight says it's 10 pounds higher than my lowest, but someone at work this morning told me how "thin" I look. Hmm, nope. But strong. I'm hitting my workouts consistently, and it's paying off. I'm not sure what to make of the scale. There's still fat to lose, but my clothes fit well, I can do what I want physically, my workouts are good, what more is there? (Well, getting rid of that extra fat...)

You can do this. Keep coming back here. People will encourage you. Put the work in. Reevaluate in 6 months or a year. The time will pass anyway. :heart:

if the scale has went up and you are working out more its water retention because your muscles hold onto water to repair themselves. and increase in exercise will cause water retention as well.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    That's true! Why do I remember this when other people ask, but forget it for myself?? Thanks, @CharlieBeansmomTracey ! And they are working hard, getting rest, and getting repaired :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    That's true! Why do I remember this when other people ask, but forget it for myself?? Thanks, @CharlieBeansmomTracey ! And they are working hard, getting rest, and getting repaired :)

youre welcome. I mean it is discouraging to say the least lol but at least we know that its needed !
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the encouragement!

I've decided not to do daily weigh-ins anymore. I thought I could handle it -- especially with the help of a weight trend program -- but I can't. It is absolutely driving me nuts.

Clearly, I'm doing something right despite what the scale currently says because I have lost 13 lbs in a month! I'll come back on 2/6 and check in with you guys. If the scale still hasn't moved by then, I might need some more advice...

I think this is a good idea. Stick with it and give the scale a break for a bit.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    @emmylootwo I also think you've made a sensible choice to stop weighing yourself daily, at least for the moment. For a long time I was checking weekly but, like others have mentioned, realising that my clothes were looser was a much bigger boost. I only check my weight once every couple of weeks now. I also have a good idea as to what my maintenance calories are so that, on days when every number on my MFP page is red, I can at least ensure I should still be losing a little bit.

You've lost 13lbs, which you can rightly be proud of yourself for doing, so you're doing the right things - keep at it and concentrate on logging / weighing all your food and drink.
  • Steelkid
    Steelkid Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a long journey. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. You know why you keep getting stuck, you keep giving up when the weight loss slows. But if you keep giving up it takes even longer! You just have to keep going and the weight will come off.

I used to always get “stuck” at the same number too. I’d stick with it while the weight loss seemed easy/fast and as soon as it slowed, I’d get frustrated and quit. Then in a couple months I’d be back where I started and I’d be starting over. But last year it finally clicked for me that if I just kept with it, I wouldn’t have to keep starting over. Yeah, maybe I’d be stuck at one number for awhile but at least I wouldn’t be right back at square one and of course I never really got stuck because when I stuck with it - through weeks with no loss or even weeks with a gain - the overall trend was down. I’m now at a weight I haven’t been at since college (10 years ago!).

It takes patience but you will get where you want to be if you keep at it.

This needs to be posted in every gym in America.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Mine will continue to give the same weight day after day when it needs a new battery - and I know it's not possible to keep weighing the same every day regardless of what else I'm doing.

I discovered the same thing. Couldn’t figure out why it seemed “stuck” at the same weight, despite my analog scale showing steady decreases. Then my battery suddenly died. Got on a balance scale at my gym, and it showed the identical weight to my analog.

I now use just an analog and the gym scale. They match, so that’s enough precision and accuracy for me. I don’t need to know my weight to the .2 if it’s just going to fail randomly.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options

I discovered the same thing. Couldn’t figure out why it seemed “stuck” at the same weight, despite my analog scale showing steady decreases. Then my battery suddenly died. Got on a balance scale at my gym, and it showed the identical weight to my analog.

I now use just an analog and the gym scale. They match, so that’s enough precision and accuracy for me. I don’t need to know my weight to the .2 if it’s just going to fail randomly.

And the bad news is that it doesn't accurately reflect weight gains when they are happening either.

I had to lose a few extra pounds one time when I just kept eating for a month during one of the malfunctions/low battery times.
  • amynew4u
    amynew4u Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember. Not GAINING weight is a victory! Staying the course during plateau phases - it is rough - but we must celebrate the fact that we are not gaining as we might have been prior to this lifestyle change.
    Also, try a significant increase in water intake. The cleanse, full feeling and very basic “reset” (even if only in my head) always seems to help.
    Take one day, one meal, one bite at a time!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    As Dr. Now says - if you’re not losing, you’re gaining so you have to decide which way to go.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was thinking in bed last night, just how long this is taking and how long the road ahead of me is still, then I thought of this quote I had heard before:
    “Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.”

― Earl Nightingale

A year from now 12 months will have passed, whether I reach my goals are not. I'd rather use that time making changes then waiting for regrets
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    One thing that kept me going this go around: Think about where you could be a year from now if you don't give up today. Would you rather look back a year from now and think " I should probably start up again" or would you rather look back and think "Wow, look how far I came?"

Think about this. If you stick with the process <---(Key words here) What is the worst that could happen in a year's time? What if you lose less then what you were going for? It's still MORE then what it would be if you stop now. It's still progress. It still gets you one step closer to where you want to be. Chances are you'll lose more then you think if you just stick with it. Within 1 year, You'll mess up. You'll want to quit. You'll get frustrated. This is all normal and happens to us all. BUT You'll also continue to learn what works for you. You'll learn what doesn't work too. You'll adapt. You'll evolve. If anything a year from now you'll have gained a knowledge base you didn't have before if you stopped now. All which adds progress to your goal.

Another quote that keeps me going:

Perfection is the enemy of Progress

So the scale is being a jerk this week? Focus on the other areas you are making progress. The Non-Scale victories. (A thread I HIGHLY reccomend checking out BTW) Counting your calories (even after a big meal), meeting your calorie goal, Getting in your workouts, these are all things within your immediate control that you can continue to work on even if the scale is not moving at the moment.

Best of luck. You've got this! :flowerforyou:

GREAT post! Weight loss is so slow, and my scale rarely shows progress. Now to keep myself motivated I write down every change in my body that I see or feel and when I get discouraged I refer to that list to assure myself that they ARE hard fought victories I have won already...even if they are small.
    Some examples from my list:

My jawbone is starting to feel boney

My thighs: I used to have to stand a yardstick apart for my thighs not to touch, now it's just about 18 inches (now 4 inches as of 1/2019)

Can now feel my skull again at my temples

Can feel my butt bones

Can now feel my entire ribcage outline, back and front. I used to not feel my ribs, they were hidden in fat

My "Neck hump" of fat is gone from my neck/shoulders

I can now cross my legs again