Gaining muscle

Options
Any tips on trying to gain muscle? I’m pretty small, 125lbs, and I really want to build muscle. I know the way to go calorie surplus. My fitness pal is telling me to consume 2100 calories a day. So you eat all that and then workout?

Replies

• tacobandita
    tacobandita Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I was wondering the same thing. I am 115, and my fitness pal is saying to consume the same amount to calories a day... but, I also workout at 5am so it would suck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You have to be in caloric surplus, prioritizing your protein, to gain muscle. You also have to be lifting heavy (for you) on a progressive lifting program. You won't gain fast as a female. Doing everything perfectly, you'll gain about 0.25 lbs per week. You'll also gain some fat, which is why people bulk and cut.

As for "eating all that and then workout", are you asking if you have to eat all your calories that day before you workout? No, you don't. I work out at 4:30 a.m. That would suck.

To add, here is a good list of workouts to chose from. Unless you are knowledgeable in training development, its best to start with a proven designed program.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • kingjuwo
    kingjuwo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend ''eating it all and then workout''. It sounds like you are going to eat all the food before working out, that would be very stressfull for the body well atleast for me. I would recommend eating 40% of the calories before the workout and then eat 60% of the calories after your workout and make sure every meal atleast contains some good amount of protein in it. Eating protein is very important for gaining muscle, because when you workout your muscle cells will get damaged and the proteins will rebuild it so that means it will grow after recovery.

Good luck and make sure to have a good workout program/routine so you can do the right exercises to reach your goal.