Binging on maintenance

2»

Replies

• thaliamarini5088
    thaliamarini5088 Posts: 8 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    A lot of people use the term loosely, in the sense of “I overdid it and ate more of XYZ food then I think I should have”.

Without realizing that there is a clinical definition of binge eating disorder that looks nothing like that.

Was this accidentally directed at me? I'm not sure why you feel a need to define something that I never said I didn't understand?

I was more just agreeing with you and clarifying why I asked the question in the first place. Something that now others are questioning as well.

I also think understanding what someone means when they say it - if they truly were out of control compulsively Eating (with or without a clinical diagnosis) vs someone saying “I binged last night and ate 6 Oreos” is important because in my opinion the second example warrants a totally different type of response than the first.
    A lot of people use the term loosely, in the sense of “I overdid it and ate more of XYZ food then I think I should have”.

Without realizing that there is a clinical definition of binge eating disorder that looks nothing like that.

Was this accidentally directed at me? I'm not sure why you feel a need to define something that I never said I didn't understand?

I was more just agreeing with you and clarifying why I asked the question in the first place. Something that now others are questioning as well.

I also think understanding what someone means when they say it - if they truly were out of control compulsively Eating (with or without a clinical diagnosis) vs someone saying “I binged last night and ate 6 Oreos” is important because in my opinion the second example warrants a totally different type of response than the first.
    twdlove89 wrote: »
    I had a binge last night and the night before. As long as it fits into your weekly calories you should be fine. I’ve been maintaining since August and have a sweet binge once a week and even though I put on some water weight for afew days it drops off

What’s your definition of a binge?

I thought this too...seeing as a binge is generally defined as not being within your daily calories...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Sorry I’m clearly new and didn’t get how quote worked and was trying to respond to those comments. Yikes! I am so moved at how many pieces of genuine and good advice I have gotten and am so glad I decided to join this community. THANK YOU. I promise your help and support won’t go on wasted ears, and in turn, whilst new to the group, if you ever need support or a shoulder to lean on or a cheerleader, I am here!

So I am not by definition suffering from BED, so I hope my post didn’t minimize the disorder for anyone. Def not my intention! For me a binge is feeling this craze like I can’t stop, and is 95%-100% solely comprised of eating a ton of chocolate and dessert type stuff in quick succession usually late at night. (And as far as calories or quantity I would say anywhere from 1500 calories-3500ish per binge).

I do agree I need to get carbs more in my diet, have planned treats, and in general up my calorie count.

I thought I knew the right amount of maintenance calories but I think through years of yo-yo dieting, going to gym a lot more now, really restricting calories from April thru November, my body and metabolism aren’t stable- so the real answer is NO- I HAVE NO IDEA how many calories are on maintenance, but I do know in the process of losing 100 pounds- I have a lot of fears around food, gaining weight, and some bad behavior around eating to excess secretly, and also some health side effects like I stopped getting my period.

Anyway I am so thankful for all the advice, and am happy to be part of this group now, and if there are any more things I can Clarify or answer, or if you have more tidbits from having gone through this- pls let me know! I’m def looking for shared support friendships on here so if anyone else feels that we could be a mutual beneficial partner ship of support in this journey, please reach out, message me, friend me, whatever works! Thanks!

What are the maintenance cals MFP suggests for you?
    What calorie level were you at when losing?
    Are you still logging today and how accurate is your logging?

If you have reliable data from the last few months and into your transition of maintenance you should be able to determine the maintenance cals. And if you think you are still too low then add 100 cals/day for a week at a time until you stop losing (reverse dieting) and then give it a few more weeks to ensure that’s the right number.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I agree with WinoGelato - use your last weight loss period as a starting point to calculate. But that only works IF you have good records. Each pound loss in a week works out to 500 calories per day on average. It is generally accepted that 3500 calories equal a pound of body weight.

So if you were losing a pound per week at the end (or even now) then add 500 calories per day to stop the weight loss. 500 X 7 = 3500.

Alternately, just use the numbers this site gives you for Maintaining your weight in the Goals section. Use that number for two months and log all your food. There *could* be a temporary bump up on the scale but stay the course, you're already eight pounds below your goal - so just keep going - you are safe. Use that eight pounds as a buffer. If you get back to that original goal weight, that's a good thing. :)

Second, it sounds like you have created for yourself a bit of distorted thinking around food, and if you've lost your period it's leading into a full blown eating disorder - so maybe consider talking to someone (a professional) about this before it gets worse.

Stay the course with food for a couple months. Eat at Maintenance as suggested on this site and keep good records and don't second guess yourself.