Diabetes anyone?

Options
So I’m counting everything & doing my insulin. My sugar has been amazing 😊 but it drops a lot now...what can i do differently?? Tonight it was 37.🤯

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I'm not insulin dependent so have little experience with this, but can you talk to your doctor about dosages? Losing weight, you may need less insulin. In the meantime check it often and eat carbs when low, 37 is scary! Also try eating slow digesting carbs to stay steady over a longer time.
  • ginagurl79
    ginagurl79 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I'm not insulin dependent so have little experience with this, but can you talk to your doctor about dosages? Losing weight, you may need less insulin. In the meantime check it often and eat carbs when low, 37 is scary! Also try eating slow digesting carbs to stay steady over a longer time.

See thats the thing. I’m trying to cut out carbs (breads, pastas, rice) all out completely- my dr did give me a new chart...it just seems wrong. I went from 20 units to like 2. It’s scary ...

Ur dammed if U do and dammed if u don’t!

Thank u!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution. He goes through how medications may need to be reduced for T1 and T2. If you have T2D you can reduce your insin with greater safety than a T1d could. You should definitely talk about doing so soon. Low bg can be quite dangerous.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My fiance is a type I diabetic. When he is more active, his blood sugar gets all crazy. Definitely get input from your doctor. I know my fiance needed his overnight slow-acting insulin adjusted to keep his blood sugar from dropping too quickly.

Also, make sure you're not drinking a lot of juice without also consuming protein. The carbs aren't complex, so they spike your blood sugar and then suddenly drop it. My fiance always tries to eat proteins with juice because it slows the sugar absorption.

If you're not drinking juice, maybe try adding some different carb sources to your diet that break down slowly, like sweet potatoes.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ginagurl79 wrote: »

See thats the thing. I’m trying to cut out carbs (breads, pastas, rice) all out completely- my dr did give me a new chart...it just seems wrong. I went from 20 units to like 2. It’s scary ...

Thank u!

Fair warning, I'm not even remotely a doctor, but my understanding is that with diabetes what's important is balancing carb intake, not necessarily eliminating carbs. It can be dangerous for a diabetic to drastically change their carb level without their doctor's guidance. Definitely get in touch with your doctor ASAP to go over the relationship between your carb consumption, your blood sugar levels, and your insulin dosage.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to do this gradually. High blood sugar kills you slowly. Low blood sugar will kill you IMMEDIATELY so do not play around. Until your dosages are adjusted, eat enough carbs to stay in a safe range. If you dip below 70 immediately drink something like juice that will bring them up quickly, and aim to stay close to 100. When your dosages are lower you can cut carbs more.
  • Keepitkoi
    Keepitkoi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mine spikes in the morning
  • ginagurl79
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thank u!

Fair warning, I'm not even remotely a doctor, but my understanding is that with diabetes what's important is balancing carb intake, not necessarily eliminating carbs. It can be dangerous for a diabetic to drastically change their carb level without their doctor's guidance. Definitely get in touch with your doctor ASAP to go over the relationship between your carb consumption, your blood sugar levels, and your insulin dosage.

Thanks. I’ve been a diabetic for quite some time- but never tried to lose weight except in 2009 and I did it, so now I’m just more of a diabetic. I have an insulin resistance disease (pcos) & lovely diabetes.

I saw a nutritionist more than once in the last year. She gave me pointers- but everyone loves to throw fish into it& I don’t eat fish!

&& my endocrinologist is holding me accountable. He said my a1c went down in the 6 months which is awesome but I gained 20lbs!

I called today and he cut down my intake in insulin! But the scare made me be more aware!!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am T1 on a pump and I must check sugars constantly as I am losing weight. As weight goes down so does my insulin.
    It is dangerous as others have noted.
    I myself have had 2 car accidents and remember nothing.Luckily I have not hurt or killed others. I have adjusted my insulin intake as I go along. You must do glucose checks often. You do have the control if you are an active participant and not just waiting for someone else to do it for you.
  • ginagurl79
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I am T1 on a pump and I must check sugars constantly as I am losing weight. As weight goes down so does my insulin.
    I myself have had 2 car accidents and remember nothing.Luckily I have not hurt or killed others. I have adjusted my insulin intake as I go along. You must do glucose checks often. You do have the control if you are an active participant and not just waiting for someone else to do it for you.

I was on the libre to test, but I started testing regularly because I can feel the difference. I’m learning the difference in the feelings w my sugar because for 5 years on an insulin pump they couldn’t get my sugars down below 250-400.
    I got a new dr and he’s amazing, I don’t have the pump have 3 different shots but my sugars are normal hallelujah:)
  • dsboohead
    Options

I was on the libre to test, but I started testing regularly because I can feel the difference. I’m learning the difference in the feelings w my sugar because for 5 years on an insulin pump they couldn’t get my sugars down below 250-400.
    I got a new dr and he’s amazing, I don’t have the pump have 3 different shots but my sugars are normal hallelujah:)

What is your AIC sitting at after no pump?
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Working on wt loss as well as keeping glucose acceptable is a double edged sword and a CHALLENGE!
  • ginagurl79
    Options

What is your AIC sitting at after no pump?

When I walked in it was 10.1- 6 months on the 3 shots it went to 6.1. But I gained 20lbs.
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just found this discussion... I have T1D, 22 years, and had a similar thing happen with a car accident about ~15 years ago.

Now I use a Dexcom G6 and tslim pump that suspends when predicted below 80. It works great with understanding exercise impact and adjusting rates. Has also made a big difference in lows-especially overnight. I have used Dexcom for more than 5 years and it lowered my A1c about a point. Last A1c was 5.6, with less lows, so I’m happy with that, but it’s generally around 6 and was between 6.5-7 with many severe lows before Dexcom. No accidents or emergency calls since using Dexcom. Since the tslim basal suspend with prediction below 80, no severe lows.

I’m really overweight and generally sedentary so exercise has a big impact on my insulin needs-both basal and boluses for a day or two. Dexcom and tslim have made a big difference. I haven’t tried keto or very low carb diets though.

For food changes during high activity, I try not to eat too close to bed to and try to avoid high fat meals before the past 5 hours before bed or so to minimize corrections late at (or during) night.

I also monitor blood ketones and increase my ICR and correction ratios if ketones above 2.

Hope that helps!
  • lucerogina
    lucerogina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I’ve had type 1 for 22 years and I am just starting my exercise journey. 😊
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Keepitkoi wrote: »
    Mine spikes in the morning

Yeah, the dawn phenomenon. You can usually counteract it by having a protein snack close to bedtime. Something with some fat as well. I usually have an ounce or so of cheddar cheese. It helps keep my blood sugar more stable while I'm sleeping and I definitely notice lower fasting blood sugar readings in the mornings.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So I’m counting everything & doing my insulin. My sugar has been amazing 😊 but it drops a lot now...what can i do differently?? Tonight it was 37.🤯

37 is way, way too low. Anything below 70 is not something you want. See your doctor asap.